MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Nasjonal Samling Collection

Article about: Evening! I thought some members might be interested in seeing some items from the collaborator Norwegian Nasjonal Samling party government of WWII. This stuff is fairly tough to find outside

?

What a great collection of rare insignia. I love specialized collections like this.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Nasjonal Samling Collection
    P
    Many

?

Quote by MAP View Post
    So true Brig.

Some items are more readily available in some regions and harder to find in others. But prior to this interwebby internet, just imagine how hard it would have been for you to get even this far!
    Doubt without the interweby I would even know this existed

?

Couple of recent additions...these are for female members of the Arbeidestjenesten (AT), which was the Norwegian equivalent of RAD. The broaches were worn similar to female RAD members, however they also denoted rank. The broach has most of the bronze finish missing and is for the rank of Nestlagfører

The patch was used on a variety of clothing to include sports shirts and coveralls. Female AT insignia depicted a strand of wheat, whereas male insignia had a spade/shovel

?

This year, I managed to pick up a very scarce Norges SS cap raven.

The Norges SS was the predecessor to the GSSN. It was established in Oslo on 21 May 1941 in a ceremony attended by Himmler, who appointed Jonas Lie as its head. Vidkun Quisling was not only opposed to its formation, but despised Lie. Original membership fell somewhere between a scant 130-151 members. Just a month later, Germany invaded Russia, and many Norges SS personnel volunteered to transfer to the Norwegen Legion to serve on the front (sources place the number of volunteers either at 85 total, or at 85% of the Norges SS). This essentially crippled the Norges SS, and 14 months after its creation on 21 July 1942 Norges SS was redesignated as the GSSN all the SS collectors know and go ga-ga over. No final membership numbers are known, but estimates I've seen puts total lifetime members of Norges SS around 300.

This raven was struck exactly like the Rikshird eagles, only in silver rather than gold, and the sun cross was not painted. It was usually worn on a sidecap, with a silver SS-VT Totenkopf button on the front, however there are a couple of known instances of visor caps being worn, most notably by Jonas Lie, who was known to wear what he wanted outside of regs not just in his SS uniforms, but also his Politi uniform. Here is the badge I picked up , as well as a photo of such an insignia in wear by a member of the Norges SS

And here's a picture of Jonas Lie during the formation ceremony wearing whatever he wants...note the visor with Norges SS Raven and standard SS Totenkopf

?

Excellent cap badge! What a great addition.
    Regards, Al

?

A neat, flat, enamel membership pin...a new variant I haven't encountered before now
    Nasjonal Samling CollectionNasjonal Samling Collection

?

Purchased several months ago...was my last purchase in Virginia and went right into storage. Finally getting around to unpacking the collection.

Early Rikshird raven...a few differences from the later wartime model:

Nasjonal Samling CollectionNasjonal Samling Collection

A side-by-side of the two...early on the left, wartime on the right

?

Very nice Ravens

I've seen this one listed on a website for some time now. I assume this a cast replica badge?
    Or could it be a Norges SS cap raven?
    The edges are extremely thick and I can't imagine those prongs could be inserted into a cap without causing damage

Regards, Al

?

Quote by Aldo View Post
    Very nice Ravens

I've seen this one listed on a website for some time now. I assume this a cast replica badge?
    Or could it be a Norges SS cap raven?
    The edges are extremely thick and I can't imagine those prongs could be inserted into a cap without causing damage

Older British fake from the 70s or 80s. The wide prongs are a giveaway... these appear on eBay probably monthly and sadly usually sell for over $100 each time

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4