Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Photo Display

Article about: Hello, I am just being cautious and was wondering if any members have had any adverse effects from placing photos in Screwdown holders for photos or postcards and cards up to 4" x 6&quo

?

Default Photo Display

Hello, I am just being cautious and was wondering if any members have had any adverse effects from placing photos in Screwdown holders for photos or postcards and cards up to 4" x 6" (101.6 mm x 152.4 mm) in dimension, designed with two-piece ultra clear material and four-screw closure with one screw at each corner, Acid-free and no PVC ? I have multiple signed and unsigned photo postcards I wish to keep from harm, I put them inside the holder with a protective plastic card sleeve.. Many thanks for reading this thread and I hope to find out either pros / cons, G
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Photo Display  
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Photo Display
    P
    Many

Assuming that you have not already have done so, it might be best to stop the front of the photo coming into direct contact with the glass or perspex cover. I have to say that I don't see why you feel the need to screw down the cover anyway. Normal frames are good enough, and when used with a card inlay which is properly cut, it will keep the photo clear of any contact with the glass. Gummed paper to seal the back cover will stop any rubbish getting inside the frame.

Cheers,
    Steve

?

Harry The Mole, Many thanks for the response, Yes, as I have indicated, I have the photo in a protective sleeve, then inserted into the frame, I keep all of my photos in Acrylic postcard holders labeled by individual and in a safe, so it is much easier to store and retrieve them, the more rare and signed items I can actually share and hold without gloves and I think they look nice, again, thanks for the reply ! G
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Photo Display  
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

?

I probably did not build my display in the best archival manner but I do have one of these screw down frames for two feldpost letters and an envelope. I did not take the time to find properly sized sleeves to form a protective barrier against the plastic sheets. It has been two, maybe 2.5 years since I tightened the frame down and there is zero noticeable interaction between the paper and plastic that have been in direct contact. Aside from the microscope level maybe, it seems to be fine. The 1942 letter is on thicker paper yet the 1944 letter is written on very thin paper and thus is extremely flimsy. It felt like it was on the verge of falling apart in my hands so I needed to frame them immediately to avoid any further deterioration. If the articles did not have writing on both sides I would have likely chosen a regular frame for the display. Except I wanted to be able to view both sides and the associated text easily. It is also nice that these frames can be wall mounted or displayed on the table since it can accommodate either method.

Ben

Photo Display