Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Russian Air Force Jacket?

Article about: Picked this one up recently for £15, from someone selling a bunch of miscellaneous used clothing. They didn't know what it was, and I wasn't sure either, besides knowing it's Russian, milit

Default Russian Air Force Jacket?

Picked this one up recently for £15, from someone selling a bunch of miscellaneous used clothing. They didn't know what it was, and I wasn't sure either, besides knowing it's Russian, military, relatively modern and air force-related. The laundry label on the inside is too worn to read, but two of the buttons are dated 2009. It also has a tag for the BTK Group from St Petersburg, whom I know is the official manufacturer of many uniform items for the Russian Armed Forces.

I'm particularly stumped by the patch on the right sleeve and by the collar badges. I have looked, but haven't been able to find anything online. Any help from those in the know would be greatly appreciated.

Regards, B.B.

Russian Air Force Jacket? Russian Air Force Jacket? Russian Air Force Jacket? Russian Air Force Jacket?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Russian Air Force Jacket?
    P
    Many

Hi Brodie, looks like an interesting piece and I would say a fair price.

I pretty much gave up on my Soviet collecting habit when the USSR broke up and the area of insignia especially went totally crazy with so many changes that the word "uniform" began to seem inappropriate!

I don't know what the patch actually represents and like you can't immediately see anything on line. However, from my own experience of the Russian symbology prevalent in such things my money is on it being ground based air defence related. In particular the upward pointing triangle and red arrowhead as well as the crossed swords. The device at the bottom is not totally clear but I think it is crossed gun barrels with a 'T' above so perhaps a weapons technical element?

I'm sure somebody here will know for sure but in the meantime it is a challenge to work out!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    Hi Brodie, looks like an interesting piece and I would say a fair price.

I pretty much gave up on my Soviet collecting habit when the USSR broke up and the area of insignia especially went totally crazy with so many changes that the word "uniform" began to seem inappropriate!

I don't know what the patch actually represents and like you can't immediately see anything on line. However, from my own experience of the Russian symbology prevalent in such things my money is on it being ground based air defence related. In particular the upward pointing triangle and red arrowhead as well as the crossed swords. The device at the bottom is not totally clear but I think it is crossed gun barrels with a 'T' above so perhaps a weapons technical element?

I'm sure somebody here will know for sure but in the meantime it is a challenge to work out!

Regards

Mark
    Thanks for the help, Mark. My guess was either air defence or missile-related, so I'm glad others are on the same wavelength at least! Older Soviet-era stuff is more interesting, and certainly more consistent, but when the right item comes along at the right price, sometimes you just 'have' to have it!

B.B.

?

Rather than swords (assuming I’m looking at the right bit), they appear to be sceptres... (spectre?!)
    With the heavy imperial symbology, I wonder if it has something to do with the royal palaces. Hermitage Security Guard!
    The ‘signals’ type lightning bolts in the eagle’s claw (on the left sleeve), instead of the expected orb, are also a bit of an oddity. All in all, a bit of a mess.

Baffled of Fochabers.
    Last edited by Kohima; 02-03-2023 at 06:56 AM.

Quote by Kohima View Post
    Rather than swords (assuming I’m looking at the right bit), they appear to be sceptres... (spectre?!)
    With the heavy imperial symbology, I wonder if it has something to do with the royal palaces.
    The ‘signals’ type lightning bolts in the eagle’s claw (on the left sleeve), instead of the expected orb, are also a bit of an oddity. All in all, a bit of a mess.

Baffled of Fochabers.
    A bit of a mess, pretty much sums up the present state of said army! I’ll keep researching this one, but it continues to confound me for now.

B.B.

Quote by Kohima View Post
    With the heavy imperial symbology, I wonder if it has something to do with the royal palaces.

Baffled of Fochabers.
    Oh I see, you are looking at the eagle patch in pic two which is the Russian state eagle with the word "RUSSIA" above and is the generic (except for colours) national indicator. It is the one in pic three which appears to be a unit / formation badge which I was talking about on the assumption that it was the subject of Brodie's question.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

I was actually referring to the unit insigne (picture 3), at that point, before skipping merrily onto the left sleeve.. the crossed things, in the blue and white rays, look like sceptres to me (rather than swords), of two slightly differing styles.
    The collar discs appear to be a repeat of the red device.. almost like a telecom/television tower (think Berlin).

It was picture 3 that I was referring to, and they’re definitely sceptres. The only image of a similar patch I’ve been able to find online was in a photograph of members of the Russian General Staff, so maybe this jacket has some sort of administrative connection?

B.B.

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    It was picture 3 that I was referring to, and they’re definitely sceptres. The only image of a similar patch I’ve been able to find online was in a photograph of members of the Russian General Staff, so maybe this jacket has some sort of administrative connection?

B.B.
    Are they both the same? A sceptre being a symbol of regnal/imperial authority would usually be a single item accompanied by an orb as is the normal configuration of the Russian Imperial Eagle (same symbology in most monarchical regalia including British). Perhaps this is a sword and sceptre as appears in some other regnal regalia for example in Scotland with James VI ( a Papal connection I believe)?

Interesting but still doesn't help with the dammed question

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 02-03-2023 at 11:09 AM. Reason: typo

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    Are they both the same? A sceptre being a symbol of regnal/imperial authority would usually be a single item accompanied by an orb as is the normal configuration of the Russian Imperial Eagle (same symbology in most monarchical regalia including British). Perhaps this is a sword and sceptre as appears in some other regnal regalia for example in Scotland with James VI ( a Papal connection I believe)?

Interesting but still doesn't help with the dammed question

Regards

Mark
    They're both sceptres, but of a slightly different design. The head of one is square-shaped, while the other has a pointed ornamentation that resembles a smaller version of the symbol in the patch's middle, and the one on the collar badges. Maybe that's significant in some way? Someone who knows their Russian onions better than we do must have an answer.

B.B.