Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 56 of 78 FirstFirst ... 6 46 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 66 ... LastLast

Show your mannequins!

Article about: My German artillery Oberlautnant (full mannequin) named Hans Wildner (It is a named tunic, hehe ).

Absolutely right! The ribbons are part of the artifact and should not be removed.

My point was only that with the ribbons it is a post-war representation and not "D-Day".

It would be annoying to see a museum show a post-war uniform and represent it as war time because that gives the visitors false information which is not what a museum is meant to do.

It does happen a lot though that small or sometimes even large museums make mistakes and people take what the museum says as the truth, because "it's in a museum" right?

The last time I visited the Hartenstein Hotel museum in Arnhem they had an ultra-rare Sten bayonet marked as a "prototype Enfield bayonet" and refused to accept what it actually was when I pointed this out

Your set-up still looks good though and I am pleased you know about the ribbons

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Show your mannequins!
    P
    Many

?

As a matter of fact, not all the ribbons on this BD blouse are post-war.
    The colours are barely distinguishable, but here are a few random pictures taken in Normandy in June, July or August of 1944:

Show your mannequins!Show your mannequins!Show your mannequins!Show your mannequins!Show your mannequins!Show your mannequins!Show your mannequins!Show your mannequins!Show your mannequins!Show your mannequins!

The 1939-1945 Star ribbon was introduced in August 1943 and already widely worn in the summer of 1944, as is plainly visible on the photos above.

Quote by Didier View Post
    As a matter of fact, not all the ribbons on this BD blouse are post-war.
    The colours are barely distinguishable, but here are a few random pictures taken in Normandy in June, July or August of 1944:

The 1939-1945 Star ribbon was introduced in August 1943 and already widely worn in the summer of 1944, as is plainly visible on the photos above.
    Hi Didier, yes you are correct about the 1939-45 Star ribbon which is seen in several of these pics although it wasn't called that at the time because when the ribbon was authorised in 1943 (medal didn't exist at that time) it was only "proposed" but yes it may have been worn on D-Day as is true for the Africa Star which was instituted in 1943 also.

From what I can discern of the other ribbons they are;

Pic 1. General Service Medal 1918 -62 and 1939-45 Star.
    Pic 2. 1939-45 Star.
    Pic 3. Army Long Service and Good Conduct (1917 to present ribbon).
    Pic 4. Africa Star.
    Pic 5. 4 x ribbons. First two unclear but possibly a WWI pair of British War Medal and Victory Medal (aka "Mutt & Jeff"). Third and fourth GSM 1918 and Army LS & GC.
    Pic 6. 1939-45 Star.
    Pic 7. 1939-45 Star.
    Pic 8. Looks like two ribbons. First is unclear, second appears to be the Territorial Efficiency Decoration (1930)
    Pic 9. Africa Star.

All the men in the pics appear clean and well presented in a photography studio type setting suggesting the pics were taken once the "excitement" had subsided somewhat

Therefore the only ribbons in your bar that might be seen actually in wear on D-Day would be the 1939-45 Star and the Territorial Efficiency Decoration which I believe makes it a post war bar.

I hope this helps

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 10-27-2020 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Thank you, Mark!

Yes, I think you are right on all counts. Besides, I don't think there are many original wartime BDs around - from what I gathered, most surviving examples are 'best BD blouses' that were mounted at the end of WWII or even much later. So, although this is by no means a battledress worn on D-Day, I am still very happy with it, as it is probably the closest I shall ever get to a genuine wartime one

Regards,

Didier

Quote by Didier View Post
    Thank you, Mark!

Yes, I think you are right on all counts. Besides, I don't think there are many original wartime BDs around - from what I gathered, most surviving examples are 'best BD blouses' that were mounted at the end of WWII or even much later. So, although this is by no means a battledress worn on D-Day, I am still very happy with it, as it is probably the closest I shall ever get to a genuine wartime one

Regards,

Didier
    Yes, plus a BD actually worn on D-Day and in the days afterwards would probably not be a very nice thing to have in your home either

Regards

Mark

?

I agree with you Ralph, a GAB would suite the uniform much better but unfortunately my collection lacks one (yet), as soon as I can acquire a nice example she'll be going right on the tunic
    Last edited by rbminis; 10-27-2020 at 12:06 PM.

?

So, here is something that is more like it, although still far from being perfect (no boots, no gaiters, no haversack, no Webley replica, Dutch BD trousers and braces that are a tad bit too short):

Show your mannequins!Show your mannequins!Show your mannequins!Show your mannequins!

This is where the shoe pinches, if I may say so

Show your mannequins!

Show your mannequins!Show your mannequins!

?

My first and only mannequin due to limited space. I bought this to display a complete pilot grouping that has not arrived but I couldn't resist setting up my Schutzpolizei uniform. Everything is correct except for the ribbon bar (the only one I have) and my patent leather service shoes. No shoes but plenty of headgear to try on. I think it looks pretty good though.

Show your mannequins!

Show your mannequins!

Looks Great Aldo- you're in the club now Mate!

?

Thanks I already tried talking the wifey into adding one more squeezed into the corner for my pilot, she is not amused.

Page 56 of 78 FirstFirst ... 6 46 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 66 ... LastLast