Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Small and Sad Grouping

Article about: This came out of the woodwork in Germany a couple years ago. The picker told me that he got it in the small town (population 4K) of Schnaittenbach and the young family member said "It's

TWS
    ?

Default Small and Sad Grouping

This came out of the woodwork in Germany a couple years ago. The picker told me that he got it in the small town (population 4K) of Schnaittenbach and the young family member said "It's one of my great uncles, but I'm not even sure which one".

It consists of a funeral cushion with his awards and a post card portrait. As you can see, he looks to be barely more than a kid. The IAB bronze grade is a late war injection molded Assmann. Some say those IAB's are rare, others say not so much. The BWB is a Klein & Quenzer and is the same exact badge he is wearing in the photo. The caption on the back of the photo, (translated), says "Vacation (leave) after my wounding and NCO course. 16-31 August, 1944." Note that he has the NCO candidate Tresse loops on his shoulder straps in the photo. Regrettably, I know nothing more about this young soldier but we can conclude that after his leave he went back to the front, earned the IAB and EK2 and was later killed. He may have left that BWB at home or it may have been shipped back by the unit with his personal effects. The EK2 ribbon appears to have been on a tunic, so perhaps it is the latter.

Small and Sad GroupingSmall and Sad GroupingSmall and Sad GroupingSmall and Sad GroupingSmall and Sad GroupingSmall and Sad GroupingSmall and Sad GroupingSmall and Sad GroupingSmall and Sad Grouping
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Small and Sad Grouping
    P
    Many

I like it a lot and the wound badge is so cool to see it in the photo. The young man doesn’t look old enough to shave but he had to grow so fast.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

?

Interesting to see that the wear to the badge is all wartime, and not from bouncing around a trunk for 75 years

A nice grouping Todd!
    Congrats on adding this set to your collection.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

TWS
    ?

Quote by Brig View Post
    Interesting to see that the wear to the badge is all wartime, and not from bouncing around a trunk for 75 years
    With a lot of items in my collection I tend to think the wear is mostly wartime. Although we often don't know for sure if the paint chips on a helmet, etc. are period or if a U.S. veteran brought it back as a souvenir and let his kids play with it in the 1950's. Hell, I played with my neighbor's grandfather's bring back helmet in the early 1980's. The first Stahlhelm I ever held.

Quote by rbminis View Post
    A nice grouping Todd!
    Congrats on adding this set to your collection.
    Ralph.
    Thanks Ralph! I've had it for a couple years. Just now got around to sharing it.

Quote by tank destroyer View Post
    I like it a lot and the wound badge is so cool to see it in the photo. The young man doesn’t look old enough to shave but he had to grow so fast.

Marty
    100%. I have a few other items that I have period photos of and it's really neat to see them in the photo and then look at them in person in the present day. Yeah, that's what makes the grouping a little sad. I wish I had more info like his Soldbuch or Wehrpaß so I could know his name and age, but for sure he left this world way too young like hundreds of thousands on all sides during the conflict.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."