Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Visor insignia display!

Article about: Nice little display i put together and wanted to show off! Consists of a Zimmerman eagle and late war three prong Assmann totenkopf. I got the display box made by an Etsy seller who makes BE

?

I wonder what type of conditions this would have to have been sitting in to end up with this level of damage? I have seen ground dug examples made of zinc that have a similar white pitted look as this does.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Visor insignia display!
    P
    Many

There are many different extremes that over time will cause the corrosion (zinc pest), rust, moth holes. Weather extremes, humidity levels, bug infestations, minerals in the soil (if a ground dug example), improper handling with dirty and or oily hands, caustic cleaners that were introduced to the material when trying to clean or remove dirt, rust, etc. The list goes on and on...

Tinnie's are some of the more prevalent items that I have seen deteriorate with the zinc pest, to the point where you can't even recognize what the Tinnie was celebrating. There are other awards as well and the deterioration can happen to any of them.

Long stroy short... Take care of your items, use proper handling and storage methods and the items will be around for a long time..

Smitty

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2