Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Zeppelin Collectibles of Mine

Article about: New members and die-hard zeppelin collector - I'll be posting items in my collection, genuine, repros and fantasy for your viewing enjoyment. ZEPPELIN COMMEMORATIVE BADGE LUFTFAHRT FRIEDRICH

Smile

Zeppelin Collectibles of MineZeppelin Collectibles of MineZeppelin Collectibles of Mine
    These are modern reproductions of Graf Zeppelin badges - easily spotted by the wrong font on Friedrich Linden, Lüdenscheid (FLL) logo, not to mention the like new condition and I got them from Russia, a hotbed of fake zeppelin stuff. But I got them really cheap, they look cool and I like them.
    I don't know if these are fantasy pieces or not as all the ones I've seen on eBay that show the FLL logo are fake, no matter how old they look.
    Note the curve on the letters of the FLL logo, it's unmistakable, even on small medals, badges, etc. For some reason they never get this right on the fakes.
    Last edited by fwdixon; 09-20-2020 at 12:59 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Zeppelin Collectibles of Mine
    P
    Many

Quote by fwdixon View Post
    Note the curve on the letters of the FLL logo, it's unmistakable, even on medals, badges, etc. For some reason they never get this right on the fakes.
    Shhh...don't tell them!

By Zeppelin's do you mean the transporters or war ships as well?
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

Quote by stuka f View Post
    By Zeppelin's do you mean the transporters or war ships as well?
    I mean the all lighter than air ships made by the Zeppelin company.

Round-the-world flight of the Graf Zeppelin (1929) from Wikipedia. (Referencing the three medals I posted earlier)
    The American newspaper publisher William Randolph Hearst's media empire paid half the cost of the project to fly Graf Zeppelin around the world, with four staff on the flight; Drummond-Hay, Karl von Wiegand, the Australian explorer Hubert Wilkins, and the cameraman Robert Hartmann. Drummond-Hay became the first woman to circumnavigate the world by air.

Hearst stipulated that the flight in August 1929 officially start and finish at Lakehurst. Round-the-world tickets were sold for almost $3000 (equivalent to $45,000 in 2019), but most participants had their costs paid for them. The flight's expenses were offset by the carriage of souvenir mail between Lakehurst, Friedrichshafen, Tokyo, and Los Angeles. A US franked letter flown on the whole trip from Lakehurst to Lakehurst required $3.55 (equivalent to $53 in 2019) in postage.

Graf Zeppelin set off from Lakehurst on 8 August, heading eastwards. The ship refuelled at Friedrichshafen, then continued across Eastern Europe and the Soviet Union to Tokyo. After five days at a former German airship shed that had been removed from Jüterbog and rebuilt at Kasumigaura Naval Air Station, Graf Zeppelin continued across the Pacific to California. Eckener delayed crossing the coast at San Francisco's Golden Gate so as to come in near sunset for aesthetic effect. The ship landed at Mines Field in Los Angeles, completing the first ever nonstop flight across the Pacific Ocean. The takeoff from Los Angeles was difficult because of high temperatures and an inversion layer. To lighten the ship, six crew were sent on to Lakehurst by aeroplane. The airship suffered minor damage from a tail strike and barely cleared electricity cables at the edge of the field. The Graf Zeppelin arrived back at Lakehurst from the west on the morning of 29 August, three weeks after it had departed to the east.

Flying time for the four Lakehurst to Lakehurst legs was 12 days, 12 hours, and 13 minutes; the entire circumnavigation (including stops) took 21 days, 5 hours, and 31 minutes to cover 33,234 km (20,651 mi; 17,945 nmi). It was the fastest circumnavigation of the globe at the time.

Eckener became the tenth recipient and the third aviator to be awarded the Gold Medal of the National Geographic Society, which he received on 27 March 1930 at the Washington Auditorium. Before returning to Germany, Eckener met President Herbert Hoover, and successfully lobbied the US Postmaster General for a special three-stamp issue for mail to be carried on the Europe-Pan American flight due to leave Germany in mid-May. Germany issued a commemorative coin celebrating the circumnavigation.

Smile

Zeppelin Collectibles of MineZeppelin Collectibles of Mine
    Collapsible drinking cup with zeppelin motif - manufacturer & date unknown by I suspect circa 1930 (German translation = zeppelin mug)

Quote by fwdixon View Post
    Collapsible drinking cup with zeppelin motif - manufacturer & date unknown by I suspect circa 1930 (German translation = zeppelin mug)
    The other writing "durch kampf zum sieg" = "through struggle to victory"

Smile

Zeppelin Airship Plaque Weltflug
    GRAF ZEPPELIN GORLITZ airship lapel badge.
    Graf Zeppelin Airship Commemorative Workers Badge.
    Embossed Metal Zeppelin Airship in Flight Postcard

Cool

July 31, 1909 Landing of Zeppelin II International Aviation Exposition

MAP
    ?

Great stuff. Love the collapsible mug.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast