MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

The Button Hole

Article about: Metal detecting is my main hobby and I am always thrilled to pull military relics from the ground. My main interest is in older military relics dating to the America Revolution as there were

Default The Button Hole

Metal detecting is my main hobby and I am always thrilled to pull military relics from the ground. My main interest is in older military relics dating to the America Revolution as there were a lot of Loyalists in my area who lost a lot of buttons. This find isn't nearly as old but is one of my absolute favorite finds to date. It would appear that many uniforms and accouterments were burnt at this site but for what reason I do not know. To date I have found over 130 buttons and countless buckles and strap ends. It actually got to the point where I was digging buttons without the metal detector. I would simply flip over a section of sod and sometimes recover three or four buttons at a time. Very productive area. I know that there are more there and I plan to return with a sifter and give it a very good search. Strangely I only found 2 Navy buttons...

Thanks for looking!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Button Hole   The Button Hole  

The Button Hole   The Button Hole  

CBH
    ?

I believe there are a couple of threads regarding the cleaning and preservation of ground dug items that might be helpful.

If you find any Cape Breton Ginger-beer bottles while your digging send me a PM.

Good luck in the hunt.

I do a little bottle digging as well so I'll definitely let you know!

?

Now all you have to do is find a hole like that, that dates late 17OOs to 1815!!!!!

Dean O
    CAnada

Quote by CampX View Post
    Now all you have to do is find a hole like that, that dates late 17OOs to 1815!!!!!

Dean O
    CAnada
    I've been lucky to get quite a few buttons from that era but not a hoard...yet...

?

Post some photos of those, there was a guy from NS sometime ago that had a relic Hunting forum, I think he was ex RCMP or Police.

Dean O
    Canada