Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Curious item metal detected on ww2 site.

Article about: Evening all I would like to share with you all my weekend finds at a world war 2 forest with many hardstandings remains. So far at this site I have these items including 1940s 303 blank ammo

Default Curious item metal detected on ww2 site.

Evening all I would like to share with you all my weekend finds at a world war 2 forest within the UK. Many hardstandings remains. So far at this site I have these items including 1940s 303 blank ammo, ww2 soldiers buttons, a butter knife (ww2 period?) a lock from one of the demolished buildings, ww2 soldiers web strapping ends. But I am mostly curious with the object ensquared in red. I trust someone may identify this for me, much gratitute!

edit: it would help if I actually posted a photo gotta figure this one out

I think that's it.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Curious item metal detected on ww2 site.  

I cannot say for a certainty but to me it looks like a pull pin, possibly for a trailer hookup, farm implement, or if military maybe one that affixed a machine gun to a swivel mount? But just my guess. Best regards.

Brian

In the photo you currently display, is there a hole in the end of the long straight piece at the top of the photo? It might be a snafle bit for a horse. A snafle would have a matching piece like you have there, connected in the middle by a small wire or joint.

Jay

Quote by sitges1990 View Post
    In the photo you currently display, is there a hole in the end of the long straight piece at the top of the photo? It might be a snafle bit for a horse. A snafle would have a matching piece like you have there, connected in the middle by a small wire or joint.

Jay
    Im not sure what piece exactly you are referring to, the long white piece top right is a door lock and at the very top the long piece is a butter knife with metal snapped off it
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Curious item metal detected on ww2 site.  

That is the piece I was talking about. Couldn't see that it is a split, cotter looking pin. Definitely not a horse bit. That is some type of pull pin as Brian said.

Quote by mousehead View Post
    I think that's it.
    Hi mousehead

That one's a split pin from a .303 ammunition box - as per similar:

Western Front Militaria - Split Pins

Example, in use:

Curious item metal detected on ww2 site.

Nice identification skills, that man. ;-)

?

Yes a pin from an early ammo box quit rare