Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Digging and detecting in France

Article about: Translated into English. The new French regulations conceirning digging/searching and picking up relics from French battlefields; .....On our first search day (we had the intention to dig ve

appie
    ?

Default Digging and detecting in France

Translated into English. The new French regulations conceirning digging/searching and picking up relics from French battlefields;

.....On our first search day (we had the intention to dig very carefully), we are deep in the forest when we got caught by a Forestier. A Forestier, is a French forester. Some Forestier has something more judicial powers then the foresters we are used to. Adorned with gun and handcuffs he told us the following:

1. The battlefields of France have been declared to historical sites of the French state;
    2. All items in or on the battle fields is owned by the state;
    3. Taking something / or picking up is the theft of the French state;

How futile, rusty or trivial picked up the article may be the law condemns it as theft of the French state for which the fines are strict.

However, if they have the impression it has to do with tourists with a purpose other than a 'souvenir' pick is also another law (eg in the Somme, Champagne, Verdun, Meuse and Argonne)

Have in possession:
    1. a detector, or
    2. spades, digging tools (a garden spade is too much), or
    3. parts or components of ammunition;

Then immediate confiscation of their vehicle until the fine (FF 20,000 / € 3100, -) is payed. The French government is willing to containment of the offender (s) until this decision is respected.

Default Re: Digging and detecting in France

So far for our touristic trips to Northern France...
    I hope they won't confiscate the car when having ground finds in the car , baught on a fair !!??

Thanks for the update. Very important information given the number of people that we see on this forum posting finds from France !

Take care guys.....

Steve T

Jan
    ?

Nice to give this information further. In Finland it´s no digging without a permit from the landowner no matter what area. Over 100 year old remains made by people are protected by law.

Rgds Jan

Quote by stuka f View Post
    So far for our touristic trips to Northern France...
    I hope they won't confiscate the car when having ground finds in the car , baught on a fair !!??
    Unless French law has changed, you are considered guilty until proven innocent. A written receipt seems to be a necessity.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Quote by BOB COLEMAN View Post
    Unless French law has changed, you are considered guilty until proven innocent. A written receipt seems to be a necessity.
    Bob is totally correct.

Whenever buying ANY relics in france, regardless if they are from 'genuine' retailers or from a car boot sale, get the seller to write you a receipt.

Much better to be safe than sorry.

Steve T

Quote by Steve T View Post
    Bob is totally correct.

Whenever buying ANY relics in france, regardless if they are from 'genuine' retailers or from a car boot sale, get the seller to write you a receipt.

Much better to be safe than sorry.

Steve T
    Absolutely!!

TRT
    ?

These laws are not new but enforcement is hit and miss. I sympathise with them as the French authorities are fed up hoovering up remains of defusers!!!

They are more rigidly enforced at Verdun than elsewhere. I still think if you find a button and keep it they are not going to mind.

I only field walk so digging is not a concerm.

BTW I dont feel the French are concerned with the issue of war graves being desecrated...unfortunately....though some relic henters need shooting for the lkack of respect shown...IMHO!

Regards

TRT

A receipt from the seller of the artefact will NOT help with the Authorities. In fact a receipt will only serve to prove that you have received stolen goods. I can go further with this new law.... if I find something in my OWN garden I am not allowed to pick it up.

?

Wow, that's crazy... Define tyranny .

Members who have read this thread: 1