Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

garrett pin pointer

Article about: Hi guys,im off to Italy again in september,i was thinking of getting a Garrett pointer,just to wave over the surface really. How far do these pin pointer signals go down into the earth? I no

Will disagree a little with some of the comments.

I have used a Garret pointer for a few years, its a good pinpointer. Whilst you wont be able to scan like you do with a detector and thus cover much/any ground, I took mine to a site where I knew from the glass shards and bits you could pick up that there would be other finds there, but using a full MD was not an option.

So I sat in the baking sun probing carefully, some bits were right on the surface but covered in a thin layer of dust that made them impossible eyes only. Others were an inch or so under the ground, and of course sitting down looking intently meant I spotted bits that I wouldn't have had I been standing up and walking. On those three trips I made some of my best battle field badge & button finds, some of unusual units that I knew had been there.

So in short it can be very useful, but not just in a random area, you need to be in amongst it so to speak

Steve

Indeed, and that's the point really Steve. It will find things, but you have to know where to look! Turning up on a battlefield with a pinpointer a grin and a spade will find you sod all!

A tad late on the boat leaving the pier here ~

But I am totally with Steve ~ I use a Garrett Pin Pointer and it is of no use more that <100 mm max > from the target ~ and IMO they were never designed to be a MD as such but as the title suggests ~ PIN Point ~

And in the big picture a Pin pointer is an essential tool ~ speeding up proceedings dramatically ~

hog
    ?

I use one and they are what it says on the tin, a pin pointer, which in my experience will direct you to the whereabouts in the hole to head or where in the spoil heap you have to do a fingertip search, great for rooting out without creating a massive hole.

You will have more luck just using your eyes, and save your money.

In the Metal detecting World ~ the Pin pointer is a very important piece of kit IF you want to speed up your acquisitions ~

The problem or challenge is that they do not have a long range probably no more than 24 cm ~ about~ and it does not discriminate ~

For example I picked up a multiple target find with my Garrett ATP MD and then as I was in hurry at the time (The clock was ticking ~ I am late and none of us wish to inflame the wrath of an anxious partner waiting at home~ LOL) ~

I put the MD away and opted to dig a "plug" and attempted to pick up the target with my Pin Pointer ~

This failed as all I found was several small frags of very rusty sheet iron ~ not the one 'high profile" target of "98" on my MD ~ rusty frags of iron do NOT give off a 98 signal~

( In "hind-site" ~ seems a little fool hardy not have just finished the 'job' there and then ~ for such a high profile target!!!!!!!!!!! Bloody Drongo -You! )

So I have to return to the site and remove the plug and discriminate the real target~ FYI a 98 is a Rising Sun badge or even Gold coin ~

But in short I can survive without a Pin Pointer ~ BUT I chose to always have it with me as it is an invaluable tool ~

I add that to have essential good ~ tools ~ some days you have to pay for them ~

?

This is the latest pinpointer i have now. It is highly recommended. A very good tool.

(i stole a photo online since i am drinking my morning coffe and dont want to dig out my camera at the moment)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture garrett pin pointer  

?

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    You will have more luck just using your eyes, and save your money.
    You cannot find pieces of old silver with your eyes, the very old silver is gone black after long time in the ground. If you had advanced experience in the field you would now what i am talking about.

Quote by TrondK View Post
    You cannot find pieces of old silver with your eyes, the very old silver is gone black after long time in the ground. If you had advanced experience in the field you would now what i am talking about.
    Trond.
    You know jack about me. Who is talking about old silver, the original post was a guy thinking he could just use a pointer instead of a MD.

Wind your neck in.

sat here laughing to myself after reading these last two posts. Thought we were all friends on this site. :-)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast