Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Magnet fishing

Article about: Hi Fancied trying out some magnet fishing but where to start??? Lots of battle sites here in Eastern Germany but also lots of rivers and lakes in the middle of these sites. Any suggestions o

?

A few ago I went on a battlefield trip through Flanders. Next to the roads were piles of ammunition put there by farmers who found them after harvesting the potatoes. Litterally heaps of the stuff. Once in a while the explosives department of the Army comes and collects them. Absolutely fascinating.

There have been instances as recently as this year of military munitions washing up on UK shores typically inline with the Beaufort's Dyke dump in the Irish sea between Stranraer and Belfast. This is an enormous area and deeper than surrounding areas where conventional and chemical munitions have been dumped from the '20s up until the mid '70s. I haven't seen direct evidence (would there be any?) but I have been told by people old enough to remember that the contractors engaged were employed on piece-work so many times they would sail just out of sight of land and dump their cargo rather than going onto the specified location. This is backed up by MOD admissions that muntions were dumped outside the plotted dump area. This may be one of the reasons for items washing ashore. The Dyke was also used to dispose of captured German Tabun munitions as well as Sarin, Phosgene and other equally nasty items.

Beauforts Dyke is not the only such site and the UK is not the only nation to do this.
    My point is that this was a government operation and still there are issues around items coming back to haunt us.
    So, how much more likely is it that other stuff was randomly dumped by individuals or in areas where combat took place that items were just arbitrarily buried to get rid of them.

This stuff reappears on its own. Going looking for "Relics" where these things might be is just asking for trouble I feel.

Regards
    Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 11-04-2020 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Aside from the inherant risks involved in such a venture which have been pointed out there is also what the Laws in Germany say with regard to this type of venture . The laws in Germany are strict in regard to Metal detcting but what they are with regard to Magnet fishing i'm really not sure , do you ?
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    Sweersz, whether the grenade is live or not Police aren't always the best to know, why should they. Generally it all gets treated as live because that is the healthiest way for everyone.
    I agree. Trust me, I don't care the police blew something up that has or at least had the ability to explode and kill people. It's unsettling just seeing the police officer hold it, haha.

Quote by Vocht View Post
    A few ago I went on a battlefield trip through Flanders. Next to the roads were piles of ammunition put there by farmers who found them after harvesting the potatoes. Litterally heaps of the stuff. Once in a while the explosives department of the Army comes and collects them. Absolutely fascinating.
    Yep, they call it "the iron harvest" Every Spring and Autumn when the fields are ploughed!
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

In France, it is legal, but you can find many things : scooters, shells, guns, beds.

For Scooters and guns, here, we must go to the Police.
    The best Militaria forum in France is here : http://deutsch-militaria.forumactif.us/

Isn’t this simply a Darwinism?

...would the headline read “man killed throwing metal at aged explosives” or, sadly nowadays, more probably “irresponsible Govt leaves explosives for 100 years for innocent family man to find”...probably accompanied by a photo of a sad wife and 2 kids.......who’re now £5k better off from the newspaper.......

It all looks great on YouTube but I wouldn’t do it.....

Over the last 40+ years I have dealt with thousands, (probably ten's of thousands) of items in many countries. I have Operated in both Germany, Belgium and France, indeed the 6 weeks I did on duty in the Somme area with the Securite Civile de mineur was one of the best times I have had. Mark, your posts seem to be almost a history of various episodes in my career, (yes including a certain site in Surrey where I spent several weeks in a NBC Suit) but some create mixed memories, (have you pulled my file again?)

When I post on this subject it is for several reasons, firstly it is because since 16 years old I have trained and worked to stop people being hurt or killed in exactly this way. Secondly it is to share the knowledge that I have built for that purpose and also that hopefully it may in some way be interesting to others. Thirdly is slightly selfish, it allows me to converse with other people who are interested in the same subjects and get some enjoyment from that.

I can sum this subject up simply, If in doubt do not touch and call the authorities. We are paid to deal with these things and know the best way the risks and how to deal with the items safely.

Sweersz, the Granat Wurfer is a classic example, I dealt with many on the WW1 battle fields but also one near Monmouth in Wales! It was what we term an 'Unwanted Souvenir' which I also believe the one in America was. It made a lovely bang and a considerable hole when introduced to a small donor charge! People when they find these in relatives houses or even on reflection after bringing it back from which ever war do what we call 'Shallow Water Dump' in the nearest lake river or pond. Which as opposed to the Beaufort's Dyke dump which was decidedly a Deep Sea Dump, (yes Mark, I was involved in the inquiry into that!). DSD is now illegal under international law now and chucking the item in the lake is and always has been irresponsible.

Oh and anything that starts with "I wonder what would happen if I..." is always a bad bad thing.

Quote by vegetius View Post
    Mark, your posts seem to be almost a history of various episodes in my career, (yes including a certain site in Surrey where I spent several weeks in a NBC Suit) but some create mixed memories, (have you pulled my file again?)
    Hahaha, You found me out Rod! "Long arm" and all that (D'Oh! that's a joke before anyone rings the newspapers )

The really disturbing thing about all this is that it is often people who should know better like the squaddie who tried to board an RAF flight back to UK from Op Granby (Fist Gulf war) with a live anti tank mine in his bergan or the one who approached me in Fallingbostel during the post-operation weapons amnesty.

He said to me "This amnesty, no names right?" I replied "Yes of course" He then handed me a heavy black bin bag and walked off. The bag contained two live RPG18 WFT!!! How did he get those back from Saudi to Germany??? There were numerous others including an AK47 hidden in the oil pan of a Challenger tank but I think the point is made here!

Regards

Mark

?

ever catch any fish magnet fishing?

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast