Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Magnet fishing

Article about: Hi Fancied trying out some magnet fishing but where to start??? Lots of battle sites here in Eastern Germany but also lots of rivers and lakes in the middle of these sites. Any suggestions o

Quote by toot View Post
    ever catch any fish magnet fishing?
    Yep, a Steelhead

Magnet fishing
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by watchdog View Post
    yep, a steelhead:d:d:d

Magnet fishing
    pmsl
    Ben

That one was an absolute gift!!
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

In the early postwar period, it was a matter of expediency to dump arms, munitions, and unwanted Nazi-items in the local ponds and rivers...Germans weren't -and still are not- allowed to possess weapons of war or munitions, and Magnet-fishing wasn't thought of at the time as nobody wanted anything to do with these things in Germany after the war... Not too long ago, some divers in the Eastern part of Germany were caught retrieving relic rifles from the local lake - The Polizei was waiting for them when they docked and charged them with violating the "Kriegswaffenkontrollgesetz" - "Weapons of War Law"... No matter that these rifles were rusted and falling apart - it makes no difference to the Law in Germany...As with digging, there are risks involved...so be careful out there, friends!!
    regards, Glenn

Saw this on the news today...

(CNN) - A 12-year-old in Virginia was killed by an exploding grenade investigators believe was bought from an antique mall in North Carolina, and now authorities are warning others may have been sold and could be live.

The grenades were thought to be chemically inactive Mk 2 grenades, a style used during World War II, according to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF).

The child was killed on December 23 by an exploding grenade that ATF believes was bought on June 13 from the Fancy Flea Antique Mall in Shallotte, North Carolina.

When the grenade was sold, the agency said the vendor and buyer didn't believe the "grenades to be functioning or hazardous."
    Magnet fishing

Tragic story and worse still the vendor sold another grenade that may also be live but the buyer has not be found yet - somewhere in USA there is probably a live grenade sat waiting to kill its proud owner.

The problem is that the recovered items of ammunition are not inert when found. Then some amateur illegally 'inerts' them to an uncontrolled standard the next thing is some poor unsuspecting person is injured or killed. Worse still is the person who has no idea but ignores sense to make money.

I am afraid this is exactly the reason I get so upset at anyone involved in this criminal act or trade. I have many bad memories and disturbed nights sleep from just this type of incident and again in this case my heart goes out not only to the poor child but also his family who will forever be scarred by this incident.

I use the term incident as this is not an accident and someone is culpable for it's occurring and hopefully they will be brought to account for their actions.

Vegetius,

You have brought up some very good points, thank you for your insight. It was a very sad and tragic incident that could have been prevented but sadly there appears to be a lack of education about the dangers of UXO (Unexploded Ordnance) and that lack of knowledge breeds ignorance which results in accidents such as these. Living near and working on one of the largest military installations in the United States there are UXO/EOD programs in place but it still does not stop people from roaming around the training areas picking up ordnance and other items. A few years back some civilians were injured when a grenade they found went off while scrap metal collecting.. Something they should not have been doing on Federal Land and I believe they did face repercussions for the incident but I agree whole heartedly with your comments.

When I was stationed in Berlin in the 80's there were incidents like this happening quite a bit. I believe some children were injured in the Gruenewald (Forest area) in Berlin when they uncovered a landmine that partially denotated. The local authorities were always in the area and they meticulously searched grid by grid sweeping the area for UXO but many times some of the objects were missed.

During a training exercise one of my Soldiers was digging a fighting position and he uncovered a panzerfaust war head. He had the common sense to tell me about it and we vacated the area and called in the local bomb squad and Army EOD which safely removed the warhead and detonated in a controlled area.

Sadly this will not be the last time we hear of an incident like this occurring but we can continue to educate and inform here on the forum of the inherent risks and dangers of ordnance.

Best regards, stay safe

Smitty

Smitty,

Thank you for your comments and I know exactly what you are talking about. My biggest problem is that Magnet fishing is not something that when conducted could or might find ordnance but is something where it is likely! That renders it as an unacceptable thing as far as we EOD Operators are concerned. There is a simple rule as far as I am concerned, if you see ammunition do not touch! Treat it like a live snake. If you don't know it is poisonous then leave alone. There are experts who can deal with it but if you annoy it enough do not be shocked if it bites you. Most people know you do not f*ck with deadly creatures it is the same with ammunition!

I have seen too much stupidity leading to heartache over the last 40 years and can live without seeing anymore.

R

Illigitimus Nil Carborundum Est!

As one gets older one usually gets less tolerant of stupidity..."Man hurt after finding explosive on military base" headlines still normally get a "no sh!t Sherlock" response from me......but "boy retrieves grenade from canal" nowadays makes me think twice.....why on earth would there be a REAL grenade miles away from Germany (that's where the war was after-all...it certainly didn't get this far did it?) in an inland waterway...and they're cool as I've thrown a few in CoD etc etc..so it CAN'T be a REAL one can it...and of course whats the first thing folk do nowadays?..they photograph it for their InstabookfacetimeAppWhat thingy, call their mate, act cool...and eventually, pull the pin "for a laugh". Of course, nowadays, the Headline should read "Lockdown-breaking trespasser steals from landowner" although (sadly) they'll probably be "lonely hungry jobless youth, confused by Govt rules, safely retrieves a huge death-bringing bomb being secretly stored by rich tax avoiding landlord who doesnt allow free access to his land to everyone (for everything)......and his grandfather was probably a slaver too....well....he once went on a boat to the Isle of Wight". On a more serious note, I often wonder when we see the TV news reporting that a cache of deadly weapons were uncovered at a semi-detached house in Kidderminster...with shell cases often poking out of black Evidence bags and butts of rifles too....assuming they're all legally deact'd (or he has the right ticket) and the case's caps are popped presumably ol' Ted (it's ALWAYS "Ted") gets his kit back...eventually....but what if there's a percussion cap intact...or one old live 303 round in the garage????

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast