MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Magnet fishing

Article about: Hi Fancied trying out some magnet fishing but where to start??? Lots of battle sites here in Eastern Germany but also lots of rivers and lakes in the middle of these sites. Any suggestions o

Well, it has been dealt with now!

Local news reported that the explosion left a hole the size of "a double decker bus" whatever that means in sensible terminology. I wonder how many folk still think it was a great inconvenience?

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

This one particular bridge in my city is full of world war history! On the same bridge that another guy found a WW1 German Granatenwerfer 16 mortar bomb a year or so ago, a 75mm artillery shell has also been found recently. The guys that found it posted their find on YouTube. Pretty interesting video... includes a discussion with a police captain at the end who says people finding live grenades and shells from this bridge and everywhere else in the United States is not uncommon right now.

Magnet fishing
    Magnet fishing
    Magnet fishing

The man who pulled it out of the river was reluctant to inform the police but gave in to the pressure of his buddy. Sounds like he wanted to keep it in his basement or barn, haha. The bomb squad was called in to take it and the bridge was shut down for an hour.

?

sweerz, I didn't know you lived in G.R. too.. G
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

Ahhh, what?! You do too? That's awesome. I'm moving a little farther out of the city next month... too many shootings waking me up at night lately, haha.

?

I actually went magnet fishing on the 6th St. Bridge many, many years ago, found a few things.. I live about a 12 minute walk to there.. G
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

Very cool. All I've found there is railroad spikes so far, haha. Still waiting on finding a Bouncy Betty though.

MAP
    ?

He calls the police (good) but then claims he didn't handle it too much! LoL. He was lucky!

Still cool and glad he did the right thing. The Police were really cool about it too!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Here in the South, we have an expression, “Hey! Y’all watch this!” If in hearing range of some yahoo saying that, don’t walk away, run. Something really bad is about to happen.

Once, in another forum, a correspondent bemoaned that here in Virginia the standard practice for Civil War ordnance is (1) check to see if the object is solid shot. If so, no problem. (2) If there’s an obvious fuse point, or if you can’t tell, or if you don’t want to tell, call the police and they will come, take it away, and have it destroyed. This forum person decried the destruction of historic artifacts. My response was that there are plenty of cannonballs lying about in museums here in Virginia, nobody needs any more. Another one does not add to the trove, it creates a problem.

In the county where I live, about 10 or so years ago, a “well-known expert”, as he was described in the press, was fudging around with a 10 inch cannon ball he’d dug up from somewhere locally (my county lies between the cities of Richmond and Petersburg), ostensibly trying to defuse it, apparently a common practice for him, when KABOOM! Not much left of him; or his garage, for that matter. The local CW relic hunter types all declared how skilled he was in these matters and couldn’t figure out what happened. This event pretty much sealed the local law enforcement reaction to found ordnance – and in this state it’s found all the time – blow it. I grew up in the service and from a very early age we were taught not to handle found ordnance, not even to pick it up, "go tell somebody." Words to live by.

Quote by sweersz View Post
    This one particular bridge in my city is full of world war history! On the same bridge that another guy found a WW1 German Granatenwerfer 16 mortar bomb a year or so ago, a 75mm artillery shell has also been found recently. The guys that found it posted their find on YouTube. Pretty interesting video... includes a discussion with a police captain at the end who says people finding live grenades and shells from this bridge and everywhere else in the United States is not uncommon right now.

The man who pulled it out of the river was reluctant to inform the police but gave in to the pressure of his buddy. Sounds like he wanted to keep it in his basement or barn, haha. The bomb squad was called in to take it and the bridge was shut down for an hour.
    Well, we have had a good discussion on the merits of magnet fishing so I won't go on about it but I don't understand why the bloke in the video looks so bloody pleased with himself. That "find" could easily put him into a low earth orbit with very little provocation yet he is hefting it around like a football He has no idea what kind of a round that is!

Did I really hear one of them comment "nice" when he dredged up a 10" piece of metal rod?

I don't really care too much what happens to him but there are other people passing by and there is a child there too!

I doubt the city would thank him for damaging the historic bridge either if the round exploded. Even if there was no major damage apparent the structure would have to be surveyed I imagine.

However, nice images of the bridge. Wrought ironwork is an almost "dead" skill these days. We have one or two like that in UK courtesy of Mr IK Brunel et al

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

The man is not even useful as an organ donar as a 75mm at that range is not going to leave anything of him that is usable! MAP, the 'did not move it too much' comment just proves the mental pygmies understanding. Any movement of an item of ammunition can be too much. It is possible to learn what can and can't be moved and given a couple of decades in the job with good instruction from professional sources it is achievable.

RLeonard, you are quite right with the self appointed 'Experts'. I have spent over 40 years dealing with these items and now consider myself as an expert, however I realise that I do not know everything and still treat everything with the same caution and respect.

The thoughts of myself and colleagues regarding magnet fishing have been covered before. Unfortunately over the last 100 years or so water has been used as a dumping ground for a huge amount of rubbish some of which is unwanted munitions or souvenirs.

What I can state is that I would NOT go magnet fishing and consider it far to dangerous. My advice to anyone is the same, it's only based on 42 years of experience after all, that and the fact I hate picking up the bits of people or having to use a paint scraper to get them off a wall. It really ruins my day, (let alone that of the Darwin Award Winner who committed the act).

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast