Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Magnet fishing

Article about: Hi Fancied trying out some magnet fishing but where to start??? Lots of battle sites here in Eastern Germany but also lots of rivers and lakes in the middle of these sites. Any suggestions o

Magnet fishinguse to work on a scallop boat out of Virginia, back in 1986. I pulled up one of these in a net. We drudge the bottom to find scallops. I forgot about it until today while reading some threads. I kept it around for years but lost it along the way never knew what it was till today ( internet) mortar..... it was missing the Finns when I found it. M49A2

Quote by Panzernutter View Post
    Magnet fishinguse to work on a scallop boat out of Virginia, back in 1986. I pulled up one of these in a net. We drudge the bottom to find scallops. I forgot about it until today while reading some threads. I kept it around for years but lost it along the way never knew what it was till today ( internet) mortar..... it was missing the Finns when I found it. M49A2
    If I was in your shoes I think I'd have been happier never knowing.

If you've lost a 60mm Mortar... Someone else might find it again! But who? And at what cost?

I'm sorry but... Ignorance really is Bliss as long as nothing goes wrong.

Stay safe,

Dragging an old subject back up, apparently the lessons of the past are destined to be forgotten. (In German unfortunately)
    https://www.stuttgarter-zeitung.de/i...4a8a86841.html

Quote by Teck 147 View Post
    Dragging an old subject back up, apparently the lessons of the past are destined to be forgotten. (In German unfortunately)
    https://www.stuttgarter-zeitung.de/i...4a8a86841.html
    Yep the point that idiots keep doing this is a valid one but the journalist wants sacking for such dull copy,

"A magnet fisher found a hand grenade. The Police were called. They took it away" End of ditty and the suggestion seems to be that disruption was minimal "Alles in ordnung" That's hardly going to make people think is it?

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    Yep the point that idiots keep doing this is a valid one but the journalist wants sacking for such dull copy,

"A magnet fisher found a hand grenade. The Police were called. They took it away" End of ditty and the suggestion seems to be that disruption was minimal "Alles in ordnung" That's hardly going to make people think is it?

Regards

Mark
    You're right about the reporting... It's a Copy and Paste of the Police Statement.
    I think the main Person that doesn't want a repeat is the one who suited up and dealt with it in 30° Heat.
    Mad part is the Clowns had council approval and are planning to do it again on 26 June

Another mental pygmy fished up a No36m this weekend in Nottingham, Magnet fisher pulls hand grenade from Nottingham river - BBC News . The troops on the team there had their day ruined by someone who should not be let out without an adult!

Quote by vegetius View Post
    Another mental pygmy fished up a No36m this weekend in Nottingham, Magnet fisher pulls hand grenade from Nottingham river - BBC News . The troops on the team there had their day ruined by someone who should not be let out without an adult!
    This is a bit unfair... People do not go magnet fishing with the express intention of pulling up old (and dangerous) ordnance. You might as well level the same accusation at metal detectorists. The real idiots are the ones who dump the stuff in the first place - be it military personnel (on exercise) or civilian.

Cheers,
    Steve

Steve,

"You might as well level the same accusation at metal detectorists." You make a very valid point. I would consider metal detectorists as worse. If you go metal detecting for treasure on an old range area or WW1 or 2 Battlefield then it is no surprise when you find something that is potentially lethal. The quantity of incidents of magnet fishing the teams are being called to would indicate that this is a problem that needs some sort of regulation or control being applied.

You are correct that anyone illegally disposing of ammunition in that manner is exactly that 'Illegal'. In the military now the FFE Violation, (Free From Explosives) is an immediate disciplinary action and more often than not results in immediate dismissal from the service. Indeed we are called to identify items then appear in court or courts martial at these proceedings.

Currently we are one of the only countries with no licencing for metal detecting but hopefully that will change and bring in better regulation which I for one, as an EOD Operator and an archaeologist would welcome. All those of us [here] in the business hate and detest the morons that think interfering with live ammunition is a good idea. You only need to scrape a few individuals up who have committed 'violent disassembly' before this attitude and belief sinks in.

If you wish proof of the stupidity of these people then, Trio admit possession of mustard gas at old RAF base | Shropshire Star says it all. Metal detecting, finding the items, then disposing of them in a dangerous manner whilst contaminating yourself with mustard agent is stupid. It is a hard way to learn a lesson and being prosecuted should have emphasised the point. In fact the lead protagonist was jailed for 5 years for possession of firearms, plus 16 months’ concurrent sentence for possession of a chemical weapon. The other two individuals were both handed a 12-month jail sentence suspended for two years for possession of a chemical weapon. Full details are at: Trio receive jail term for dumping mustard gas bombs in a Lincolnshire lake | Environment Agency | Official Press Release

R

I agree that anyone detecting on battlefields or former military bases are stupid, but munitions have a habit of turning up almost anywhere. A late friend of mine almost killed himself by trying to burn off residual explosive in a WW1 spigot mortar, he was lucky the resulting explosion did not kill him. I would never tamper with munitions, but the ones who usually get killed or maimed are the totally ignorant.

Steve,

Yes, you are right munitions can turn up in the most unusual of places. It is down to having a formal Code of Practice, preferably one that is enforceable. As an example, I often conduct archaeology on the WW1 battlefields. Most of the archaeologists are civilians but we have a 100% safety record. The working practices are rigidly controlled, there is a strict 'NO Touch' policy of either items of ammunition or unidentified items and there are qualified EOD experts readily available on site to answer questions and react to any ammunition found. When working there I got co-opted into writing the code of practice we use and broadening its range and that was adopted as the Belgian Gov't CoP for all work on the Battlefields.

Oddly, this is why invites to return are numerous for us, even to the level of my working with the Belgian Gov't for 4 months plus on the battlefields on a Gov't project as their site director. So, yes it can be done but not by enthusiastic amateurs but officially trained experts with a proven track record and history are essential.

R

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast