Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Map Apps

Article about: Morning all. I’ve seen posts on the internet from people saying they could identify either trenches, foxholes or the footings of barracks using apps such as Google Earth. Personally my goo

?

Default Map Apps

Morning all.

I’ve seen posts on the internet from people saying they could identify either trenches, foxholes or the footings of barracks using apps such as Google Earth. Personally my google earth doesn’t zoom in that clearly! Any tips for research tools or better apps to get a clearer picture?
    Many thanks

Yeti,

I have done exactly that. I have used it in Belgium whilst running a government archaeological dig on 10 separate locations on the Ypres Battle fields and also in UK on a early WW2 trench complex in Kent. Admittedly I was a bit off in kent, about 45 Cm's but still found the trench within the first hour. The use of aerial survey and now with the magnificent invention of LIDAR the already common practice has become even better.

A little careful math's and on ground measuring works a treat. I use Google Earth and in UK the OS Air Phot's, (AP'S) as well the big thing is getting the scale right. Once that's done the rest is plain archaeology.

Oh and if you feel the need to dig up our history please do it correctly observing the normal archaeological recording methods. Any other way is pure selfish destruction of the Nations History depriving everyone else of it for what ever personal reasons.

R