Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Tips on retrieving Millitaria

Article about: by zwerge BUT....is he the original?...looks like a repro to me. Dunno Pete.....Maybe he's the MKII Red Sea Pedestrian.

Tex
    ?

Default Tips on retrieving Millitaria

Recently I have become increasingly more intrigued about military archaeology.

I work in Sussex, the site of a former Canadian tank regiment training outpost during WW2.
    At the bottom of our grounds is an old pond which was used as a munitions dump at the end of the war. Down there are countless weapons, ammo boxes, tank spares, shells, bottles, personal effects, insignia, etc.

I know this as we have had an expert come down and use sonar to see what is at the bottom and there are distinct ammo box shapes and weapons shapes.

Now, the reason why I am on here.
    How do I get it all out without damaging it too bad or at all?
    I have access to small boats and canoes, small trawler nets and extra long nets.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated and I shall post pictures of the relics when they are revealed.

Many thanks.
    Last edited by Adrian; 07-22-2013 at 10:26 PM.

?

Default Re: Tips on retrieving Millitaria

I've never tried it myself, but I believe that 'magnet fishing' it usually worth a try - do a search of the past threads using that term and I know you will bring up lots of information. Sounds like a very interesting opportunity that you describe - would be fascinating to hear how your investigation unfolds.

Philip

?

Your first priority will be to make sure the items down there are safe and not likely to empty the pond into the sky. Removing them will be a task if you don't know this and on school property will make it even more of a consideration.

You will need to inform the authorities if there is risk of an explosion and unfortunately your good intentions may not come to anything if there is a danger to life.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

Personally I would advise against using nets , the dragging effects could damage anything ,especially if a number of items are pulled together, a strong magnet would be more helpful, but the point you made about 'shells' being in the pond demands a great deal of caution and a properly supervised excavation would be advisable, at least a pre- inspection by a qualified relic digger,why not contact Steve T of this forum and ask his advice

I have a magnet and have a magnetromator! And have a car will travel if you need some hands!!!

Tex
    ?

Thanks for the info, i'm pretty sure that the water will have knackered out the explosives and made them duds but better to be safe than sorry! I'll inform the police of my intentions, who knows, they might even send a dive team down to retrieve them for our local museum!

?

Quote by Tex View Post
    Thanks for the info, i'm pretty sure that the water will have knackered out the explosives and made them duds but better to be safe than sorry! I'll inform the police of my intentions, who knows, they might even send a dive team down to retrieve them for our local museum!
    Don't forget, it's always the 'unloaded' gun that will kill you, or in this case the 'knackered explosive'.

?

Quote by Tex View Post
    It is a myth that just because munitions are in water they will now be inert , especially if they have gone in in sealed , watertight boxes , if you search the forum you will see examples of live ammunition in particular grenades coming out of Lakes / ponds etc in a live and potentially unstable condition !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

I've also removed the location from your post as there are undoubtedly people who scan the forum hoping for leads on possible sites who may undertake an excavation illegally when they know the whereabouts of a possible dump.

?

Unfortunately the police will not hand over anything to you or the local museum, especially weapons or 'shells' of any description,no matter what their condition,once you get the authorities involved they will take over the whole operation and their only concern is safety,as for water decaying explosives, in most cases it may be proved correct if the explosive has been exposed to the water,but shells are a completely different matter, they can remain sealed for 100yrs or more and become totally unstable,I would submit that the only true way to see what's there would be to drain the pond, remove items that are not likely to leave a large hole and re-fill after the interesting pieces have been recovered

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast