MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Original WW2 Soviet Flag?

Article about: Hello everyone, I'm sorry to bother you all with this kind of question but I recently saw this Soviet State Flag for sale, supposedly from WW2. I would like to know what you think, given tha

?

Default Original WW2 Soviet Flag?

Hello everyone,

I'm sorry to bother you all with this kind of question but I recently saw this Soviet State Flag for sale, supposedly from WW2. I would like to know what you think, given that these kinds of flags are quite rare. From what I have gathered from the internet and a bit of research, the graphic style of the hammer and sicke resemble the 1955 one and could thus be post war, although I am not sure of this at all...

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Original WW2 Soviet Flag?
    P
    Many

These can be very difficult things to date. I have a WW2-pattern one, but it's an immediate postwar example. This was acquired from Espenlaub Militaria, who sold it as such.

Original WW2 Soviet Flag?Original WW2 Soviet Flag?

Saying that, I've seen flags of a pattern similar to yours for sale in a few places. But they were smaller in size, made for display at the various Allied conferences.
    My understanding is that a lot of these were hand made, and thus varied greatly in their representation of the hammer and sickle. Part of what makes it so difficult to nail down exact production dates.

Regards, B.B.

?

Thanks for your answer! Yeah I reckoned it can be pretty hard to date them, especially those of that particular period. It's a lot easier to date banners since their embroidery style and crest were quite unique. Perhaps it is indeed an early post war example.

Not one hundred percent sure, but I'm sure I recall from somewhere that flags of this pattern are from the mid 1950's or later.... In fact, doing some quick digging, I've discovered that the WW2 pattern was used up until the 19th of August 1955, so my guess was spot on.
    Still a flag with history, even if it isn't from the Second World War!

B.B.

?

These flags are very hard to date but in my opinion it looks like a 1955 to 1980 time frame flag pre 1955 flags the sickle was diffo and curled over further
    Attached Images Attached Images Original WW2 Soviet Flag? 

?

Hello everyone, I agree with the previous answer as most of the WW2 flags I have seen tend to have similar pattern, that being said I have seen a few photographs were the style of the hammer and sickle resemble the classic 1955 one. Here is also a picture of the partisan detachment "Smert Fashizmu", the embroidered hammer and sickle do seem to match that style... what do you all think?

Here is my wartime example, British made

Nick
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Original WW2 Soviet Flag?  
    Attached Images Attached Images Original WW2 Soviet Flag? 

?

It is a very nice flag indeed, I can also see that the star on top of the hammer and sickle differs a little bit from the one we see on the famous Reichstag period.... Soviet flags from that era are such a mystery

Default Khaldei's Soviet flag

Have you already read this topic; Soviet Flag ?

Almost two years ago I bought a Soviet flag which is very similar to your flag. Pictures of my Soviet flag can be seen in the topic "Soviet Flag".
    The person from whom I bought it found a few of these flags at a Soviet military base in East Germany. Shorty after the Soviet soldiers had left.
    The colour of the flag is dark red. The hammer and sickle are sewn. Unfortunately, the flag has no labels or stamps. I don't think my flag is WWII made. My opinion is that the flag is made in the period 1955-1980. Was it made in the Soviet Union or in the GDR? I don't know.

Quote by Poteto View Post
    It is a very nice flag indeed, I can also see that the star on top of the hammer and sickle differs a little bit from the one we see on the famous Reichstag period.... Soviet flags from that era are such a mystery
    The well-known Soviet flag which was hoisted on top of the Reichstag in May 1945 was not an official flag. The flag was made by the photographer's uncle from a red tablecloth. Yevgeni Khaldei, the TASS photographer took the flag with him to Berlin.
    That is why this flag is not a good reference or how a WWII dated official Soviet flag should look like.
    The ratio of the hammer and sickle on the "Khaldei" Soviet flag are not good. For example, the head of the hammer is too small compared to the hammer handle.
    Yevgeni Khaldei photographed several Soviet soldiers with the same flag at different locations in Berlin. Some sources say that Yevgeni Khaldei had three flags made and all three were taken to Berlin. Khaldei would have left the flags at the photographed locations.

Tempelhof Airfield.

On top of the Brandenburg Gate.
    On the second picture, poses the photographer Yevgeni Khaldei.

The most famous location of the flag, on the roof of the Reichstag.

The flag held up by a Soviet soldier on the Pariser Platz.
    Last edited by Asjemenou; 01-12-2018 at 03:31 AM. Reason: Pictures not visible

?

Quote by Asjemenou View Post
    Have you already read this topic; Soviet Flag ?
    Yes I have, and I have made some additional research regarding what has been said on both this thread and the one you have linked. I didn't know about Khaldei's flag's story and I find it to be very interesting. Concerning what I have found, I have looked at many vintage pictures of the World Fairs the Soviet Union took part in during the 1930's, as the flags there would be more "official" than the ones we see in WW2 pictures (since most were made under wartime conditions, etc) and here are some pictures I have found:

Soviet flag facing the Nazi German pavilion, 1937 Paris

Soviet flag in front of the Soviet Pavilion, 1939 New York

Two Soviet Flags in front of the Soviet Pavilion, 1939 New York

Based on what I have seen on both these world fairs and a few Soviet parades from the 1930's (sadly I have not found any decent pictures of them) It does seem that the "official" Soviet flags looked more like what we describe as "post 1955 design". Going back the particular flag we were discussing, the design of the sickle (especially its handle) and the hammer seem to fit that particular style...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast