Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2 Discs from the same company , solder's numbers 5 numbers apart

Article about: Please confirm that these two ID Disks are real I bought one about a year ago from someone in Russia . The disk is for Luftwaffe Munitionslager Kittlitztreben, soldier's number 141 blood gro

Default 2 Discs from the same company , solder's numbers 5 numbers apart

Please confirm that these two ID Disks are real

I bought one about a year ago from someone in Russia . The disk is for Luftwaffe Munitionslager Kittlitztreben, soldier's number 141 blood group A

Heres' teh other that I recently came across that has same company, but solders's number 135 , group A . But, the seller is from Poland and the disk is not in my possession yet.

The solder's numbers are only 6 numbers apart, but sellers are from two different countries.. I belive it's very unlikelly to see two almost identical disks that have solder's number match so close...either these both disk are fakes, or just coinsidense...Your thoughts?
    Thanks,
    Val

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 2 Discs from the same company , solder's numbers 5 numbers apart
    P
    Many

Default Re: 2 Discs from the same company , solder's numbers 5 numbers apart

I just noticed another disk recently sold on Ebayd for the same company but different seller also from Poland, and this one has solder's numbers very close to the other two .. What's weird that all solder's have group Number A... I would not be surprised if I see another disk for sale in the future from Poland, that would have KITTLITZTREBEN and group type - A

Matt, can you please shed some light on this please?
    It seems that all markings, font, placement of numbers, size , age, etc.. pass as original

But, they could be really good fakes
    They all have in common the A as soldier's group number, company...
    It seems that if someone has made correct stamp , and knowledge and ability, they can basically fake any DogTag?

Thanks,
    Val

?

It's not so odd- I actually found two issued examples from the Infanterie-Ersatz-Bataillon my Grandmother's Cousin was in- one was a few numbers away from his, the other IIRC 40 or 50 away, both in excellent contidion. There are also many examples of stocks of unissued discs being found and sold off and I'd expect this is one of those.

There are no blood group marks on these Luftwaffe discs, which further suggests they're just stock. Plus the serial numbers are prefixed 'A', suggesting they're not just the first few hundred men who were stationed at this location- the A may even mean these are specifically replacement discs. They do look fine and when considering whether or not something like this is fake, you have to think about the value- a Luftwaffe-Munitionslager is an obscure, not very interesting (to most) unit, so would it really be worth faking? I doubt it. Fakers do SS mainly and a few regular Heer, but not many. If they had great stamps, they'd use them for LAH or Totenkopf- not LM Kittlitzleben.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

?

Hello,

Don't worry about the originality of them - all are good and plenty of them were found and still are being found in Trzebień (Kittlitztreben). Many of them were not issued.
    "A" letter in this case doesn't reflect a blood type but it indicates a civilian worker (A = Arbeiter).

Matt and Stacez, Thank you guys for clarification. That perfectly makes sense. I got mixed up with Blood type placement and prefixed A serial number , and meaning of it..Learned something new today..
    Regards,
    Val

?

Ah, that's interesting Stacez- I've not heard of that before. What's the source for that fact? I believe it's perfectly reasonable but if I go and repeat it, I have to be able to reference it
    Last edited by Matt L; 10-08-2011 at 10:42 PM.

?

As reference you can go to Höidal's book.
    Letter "A." (followed be dot) on the Luftwaffe ID tags, especially from air fields, ammunition depots and fabrics, indicates civilian personnel (zivil Angestellter).

Stacez or Matt, Höidal's book is in German as well as all other references I went through.. I can't read German.. Are there any good references available on ID Disks in English...? Of course I can use a Google translator, but was just wondering if this reference in Eglish exists, where I can avoid extra translation step

Thanks,
    Val

?

No, but Hoeidal's text is pretty simple- Google Translator does a decent job. Really there's not much to read about anyway that makes any real different in the study or collecting of Erkennungsmarken. The major uses are the timeline details in the back and the abbreviations list.

Thanks Stacez- I don't recall having read that, but then I never really found non-military discs at all interesting, so kind of skimmed over those other sections. He's still a secondary source so who knows whether he got the information from a proper primary source or is just theorizing...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast