Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

3. MG-Bataillon 14 (Ski-Brigade Finnland) Erkennungsmarke

Article about: Gents, Just accuired this well worn dog tag that once belonged to a German soldier in the 3. MG-Bataillon 14 (Ski-Brigade Finnland). I have tried to gather a bit of information about this un

Jan
    ?

Default 3. MG-Bataillon 14 (Ski-Brigade Finnland) Erkennungsmarke

Gents,

Just accuired this well worn dog tag that once belonged to a German soldier in the 3. MG-Bataillon 14 (Ski-Brigade Finnland). I have tried to gather a bit of information about this unit and came up with the text below (for my records). Please add more info if you know more about this unit.

"The fully motorized "Maschinengewehr-Ski-Brigade Finnland" was formed during the late spring of 1944 combining the the earlier three independent motorized M.G. Bataillon(4, 13 and 14) as a fast reserve of Gebirgs-A.O.K. 20. Brigade strength was only about 1.600 men.

The brigade suffered rather heavy losses against Finnish forces during the battle of Tornio (N. Finland)October 1–8, 1944, the first major engagement between Nazi Germany and Finland in the Lapland War.

After succeeding to break out from the Finnish encirclement at Tornio the unit gradually retreated to the "Sturmbock Stellung" in the far north."

Best,

Jan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 3. MG-Bataillon 14 (Ski-Brigade Finnland) Erkennungsmarke  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 3. MG-Bataillon 14 (Ski-Brigade Finnland) Erkennungsmarke
    P
    Many

Jan
    ?

Thanks a lot Willmore, I will add information from these to my "archives".

Best, Jan

?

Is it your dog tag collection? Congratulations.

MfG
    S.W.

?

Here's another sample.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 3. MG-Bataillon 14 (Ski-Brigade Finnland) Erkennungsmarke   3. MG-Bataillon 14 (Ski-Brigade Finnland) Erkennungsmarke  

3. MG-Bataillon 14 (Ski-Brigade Finnland) Erkennungsmarke   3. MG-Bataillon 14 (Ski-Brigade Finnland) Erkennungsmarke  

3. MG-Bataillon 14 (Ski-Brigade Finnland) Erkennungsmarke  

Jan
    ?

Hi S.W.,

Yes it is now in my collection (accuired it yesterday). What a wonderful grouping you have there!!!

Sadly there was only this one Erkennungsmarke to the soldier who´s name will probably remain a mystery forever.

Best, Jan

Hi Jan,

Now, I don’t collect Erkennungsmarke, but I’m sure that because his roster number is very low ‘3’ it means he is one of the first to be issued the tag in that unit. Could this mean that he was an officer and therefore be more likely to be identifiable.

This is just a guess and hopefully someone more knowledgeable might confirm if this is true or not..

?

Quote by Willmore View Post
    Hi Jan,

Now, I don’t collect Erkennungsmarke, but I’m sure that because his roster number is very low ‘3’ it means he is one of the first to be issued the tag in that unit. Could this mean that he was an officer and therefore be more likely to be identifiable.

I agree with your opinion!

This person was in the position of platoon leader on September 1, 1939.

Best regards
    S.W.

Quote by Willmore View Post
    Hi Jan,

This is just a guess and hopefully someone more knowledgeable might confirm if this is true or not..
    It’s true that a low number can indicate an officer, but rosters were redone and numbers reissued to new recruits to replace casualties. Without being a relative of the owner it isn’t possible to say for sure. Perhaps his Soldbuch or Wehrpass might surface one day.

Jan
    ?

Let´s hope so. I have asked the seller for clues on the provenance. It´s a long shot but at least I can say that I have tried

Best, Jan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast