Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

on the abbreviations of these 2 discs

Article about: Hello guys i have a German friend here and he gave me a few belongings of his father and uncle. His father was a driver of a general in the SS Hohenstaufen division and his uncle was the Rei

Quote by Willmore View Post
    Hi Pervitin.

Are you sure about this, because I have never seen that abbreviation used in conjunction with any medical unit. Also I was under the impression that there were only 18 Sanitäts Ersatz Kompanies (later became Sanitäts Ersatz Abteilungen), so Sanitäts Ersatz Kompanie 126 would be impossible.

There is a Sanitäts Kompanie 126, but their troops would have come from one of these 18 Sanitäts Ersatz kompanies/Abteilungen. An example of an erkennungsmarke for a soldier trained by a Sanitäts unit would be San. Ers. Kp. 1 to 18 or San. Ers. Abt. 1 to 18.

Sanitäts Ersatz Abteilungen -
    Gliederung Sanit?ts-Ersatz-Abteilungen - Lexikon der Wehrmacht

Sanitäts Kompanie 126
    Divisionseinheiten der 126

Kind regards,

Will

126 is the soldier number, not the company number.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement on the abbreviations of these 2 discs
    P
    Many

Quote by Airdale View Post
    126 is the soldier number, not the company number.
    Hi Airdale.

My main area of collecting is German documents, so normally I only see erkennungsmarke ‘on paper’, but I have never seen a unit stamped on an erkennungsmarke like this before. Normally the soldiers number isn’t part of the unit they belong to, it’s always separate.

For example, here is a sample of erkennungsmarke (from casualty cards) that belonged to members of 1. Gebirgs Division from Sterbebilds in my collection.

165 - 2./G. J. Feld. Ers. Btl. 54
    313 - Geb. Vet. Komp. 54
    5048 - 4./G. J. E. Btl. 100
    175 - 1./Gb. Jg. Ers. Btl. 98
    1612 - 2./G. J. Ers. Btl. 98
    827 - 4./G. J. Ers. Btl. 98
    170 - 5./Gb. Jg. Rgt. 98
    5622 - 2./G. J. Ers. Btl. 99
    1803 - 2./G. J. Ers. Btl. 98
    1667 - 2./G. J. E. B. 98
    1668 - 2./G. J. E. B. 98
    258 - 1./G. N. A. 54
    168 - 1./Geb. N. A. 54
    320 - 2./G. J. F. E. B. 54
    1597 - 2./G. J. E. B. 98
    244 - 10./G. J. E. B. 98
    9850 - San. Ers. Abt. 7

From my experience it’s normally the soldiers number, then kompanie number, then unit, then unit number (apart from Sanitäts Ersatz units, which didn’t have a kompanie number).

The reason for my initial post is that I have never seen S.E.K used as an abbreviation for any medical unit.

To me the S.E.K erkennungsmarke looks like an unissued example from schützen ersatz kompanie 126 (maybe part of schützen ersatz bataillon 126) without the soldiers number. I am always willing to learn! So please show an example where the soldiers number is part of the unit designation, especially when the soldiers number is at the end of the sequence.

Kind regards,

Will

Hi Airdale.

My main area of collecting is German documents, so normally I only see erkennungsmarke ‘on paper’, but I have never seen a unit stamped on an erkennungsmarke like this before. Normally the soldiers number isn’t part of the unit they belong to, it’s always separate.

For example, here is a sample of erkennungsmarke (from casualty cards) that belonged to members of 1. Gebirgs Division from Sterbebilds in my collection.

165 - 2./G. J. Feld. Ers. Btl. 54
    313 - Geb. Vet. Komp. 54
    5048 - 4./G. J. E. Btl. 100
    175 - 1./Gb. Jg. Ers. Btl. 98
    1612 - 2./G. J. Ers. Btl. 98
    827 - 4./G. J. Ers. Btl. 98
    170 - 5./Gb. Jg. Rgt. 98
    5622 - 2./G. J. Ers. Btl. 99
    1803 - 2./G. J. Ers. Btl. 98
    1667 - 2./G. J. E. B. 98
    1668 - 2./G. J. E. B. 98
    258 - 1./G. N. A. 54
    168 - 1./Geb. N. A. 54
    320 - 2./G. J. F. E. B. 54
    1597 - 2./G. J. E. B. 98
    244 - 10./G. J. E. B. 98
    9850 - San. Ers. Abt. 7

From my experience it’s normally the soldiers number, then kompanie number, then unit, then unit number (apart from Sanitäts Ersatz units, which didn’t have a kompanie number).

The reason for my initial post is that I have never seen S.E.K used as an abbreviation for any medical unit.

To me the S.E.K erkennungsmarke looks like an unissued example from schützen ersatz kompanie 126 (maybe part of schützen ersatz bataillon 126) without the soldiers number. I am always willing to learn! So please show an example where the soldiers number is part of the unit designation, especially when the soldiers number is at the end of the sequence.

Kind regards,

Will
    Here’s three examples with the soldiers number after the unit:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture on the abbreviations of these 2 discs   on the abbreviations of these 2 discs  

on the abbreviations of these 2 discs  

Here’s 2 unissued discs, different format, but with the soldier number present-
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture on the abbreviations of these 2 discs   on the abbreviations of these 2 discs  

@Willmore
    You have to consider the backside photo of the tag above.
    It is the 3rd Sanitäts Ersatz Kompanie of SS-Verfügungstruppe. ;-)

Here’s three examples with the soldiers number after the unit:
    Very interesting, thank you.

But my point is the soldiers numbers are after the unit, yes, but don’t seem to be part of the sequence on the three you posted.

It’s hard to explain what I mean but here is an example -

SS.V.T
    3./SSN (Big space) 612

Compared to

3./S.E.K.126

The SS.V.T erkennungsmarke clearly has the soldiers number separate from the unit information, where as the S.E.K erkennungsmarke is one single sequence making the 126 look like a unit number.

Kind regards,

Will

Very interesting, thank you.

But my point is the soldiers numbers are after the unit, yes, but don’t seem to be part of the sequence on the three you posted.

It’s hard to explain what I mean but here is an example -

SS.V.T
    3./SSN (Big space) 612

Compared to

3./S.E.K.126

The SS.V.T erkennungsmarke clearly has the soldiers number separate from the unit information, where as the S.E.K erkennungsmarke is one single sequence making the 126 look like a unit number.

Kind regards,

Will
    The 3.SEK disc in question is an issued disc, as evidenced by the blood group letter A on the reverse. So 126 has to be the soldier number. Spend a few minutes looking at the pinned thread in this section, SS Erkennungsmarke, and you’ll see the many different formats of unit ID and soldier numbers used by the SS for their erkennungsmarke, there is no uniform format and the format can change even within the same company.

The 3.SEK disc in question is an issued disc, as evidenced by the blood group letter A on the reverse. So 126 has to be the soldier number. Spend a few minutes looking at the pinned thread in this section, SS Erkennungsmarke, and you’ll see the many different formats of unit ID and soldier numbers used by the SS for their erkennungsmarke, there is no uniform format and the format can change even within the same company.
    Thank you Airdale.

I have learnt something new today!

Post #6 -

My only contribution for now. Originally owned by the vet shown on my avatar. When he volunteered in 1940 he was in the 3rd Sanitäts-Ersatz-Kompanie SS-Verfügungs-Truppe. In 1945 he was serving with the 2nd Kompanie SS-Sanitäts-Abteilung 9 which was under the 9th SS-Panzer-Division "Hohenstaufen".
    Show your SS Erkennungsmarken

I really appreciate it.

Kind regards.

Will

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2