Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

AUSCHWITZ SS id tag

Article about: The best centre in the world for authenticating Second World War items is the Simon Wiesnthal body who have been searching for Nazi War criminals since the end of the second world war.They h

Default AUSCHWITZ SS id tag

What do you all think of this one, i think it might be a made up fantasy piece, but i could be wrong, and if so what would the value on it be.

Thanks
    Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images AUSCHWITZ SS id tag  AUSCHWITZ SS id tag 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement AUSCHWITZ SS id tag
    P
    Many

Default Re: AUSCHWITZ SS id tag

Sorry my opinion would be big time fantasy.the reason would be I never seen a tag with a location on it.It would be like a tag having prague on it or normandy.
    just my opinion.

I have never seen one with Auschwitz either, be real nice if it is authentic.

Brian

This is what the seller is saying about it;

Stamped "SS. T. STUBA AUSCHWITZ"and number 782 on the obverse, with "0" on the reverse.

Translation, "SS-Totenkopf Storm-Troop Auschwitz",.

Brian

Look at the S on the botton that was freshly done.I could be wrong about the item but I would walk away.

?

Usually anything stamped with an infamous location that would entice even a non-collector because of said fame are too good to be true. I agree with Chris, I would walk away.

Matthew

?

Generally speaking, yes, one should always be extra-wary of 'famous' units, etc. since they're faked heavily, but this one's not bad just because it is, but rather in the details.

I've seen several KL discs that are very likely authentic- recovered by detectorist friends in eastern Europe- and one issue is they all have "KL" prior to the placename (a placename isn't actually weird to see on a disc where it's an appropriate part of the 'title'). Otherwise the text is accurate- SS-Stuba. K.L. Auschwitz is probably real. Another issue is the likely true KL Auschwitz discs I've seen were marked with dedicated stamps (i.e. one big stamp with the whole text) that form the text in a curve, they're not individual letters, nor is part curved and part straight.

In the case of the piece in question, it's the letters that really say 'fake'- the look very much like those on this definitely fake Leibstandarte disc below; a rule of thumb I go by with Erkennungsmarken is always suspect all-capital, sans-serif text as it appears A LOT on fakes, but very, very rarely on real discs. Plus there's the weird choice of placement of the upper line (around the holes), which fakers seem to love to do; that text being curved, but the rest not; the placement of the Stammrollennummer in the middle when the proper text isn't complete; and the general look of the disc all say fake and that the faker didn't really know what he was doing. I would say this is pretty definitely junk- and I only don't say for certain because I can't 100% prove it, not because there's the slightest chance in my mind that it might just be real.

As for value, it's impossible to value something like this (were it real) for all kinds of reasons- not the least of which is that one never sees real ones for sale...
    Attached Images Attached Images AUSCHWITZ SS id tag 
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Quote by cricketchris1944 View Post
    Sorry my opinion would be big time fantasy.the reason would be I never seen a tag with a location on it.It would be like a tag having prague on it or normandy.
    just my opinion.
    Have to disagree on that point Chris

Here's a few I have on file, I've no reason to suspect them as being a fake.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture AUSCHWITZ SS id tag  
    Attached Images Attached Images AUSCHWITZ SS id tag  AUSCHWITZ SS id tag 

Quote by cricketchris1944 View Post
    just my opinion.
    Here is Prague found in Kurland

3.ϟϟ-Ausbildungs-Rgt.Prag.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture AUSCHWITZ SS id tag   AUSCHWITZ SS id tag  

?

I never studied in depth these ID tags but there are plenty of blank tags out there and many good fakes are made from genuine tags nowadays. Some are really scary. But as I said, I don't know about these ones, because I never found or had a SS ID tag to compare.
    Regards

Matt

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast