Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Blood group on EKM's for units made before September, 1942.

Article about: I have seen many EKMs with low roll numbers for units made before September 1942 that have the blood group on them. The significance of this is that in September 1942 there was no mention of

Default Blood group on EKM's for units made before September, 1942.

I have seen many EKMs with low roll numbers for units made before September 1942 that have the blood group on them. The significance of this is that in September 1942 there was no mention of blood group in regs, which presumably means that the regulation came into effect after this time. This means that (in theory) for the first members of a unit made before this time, there should not be a blood group on the EKM. However, I have seen multiple examples of tags with this.
    Example: Blood group on EKM's for units made before September, 1942.
    In this picture, you can see a low roll number, with a blood group, for a unit made before September 1942. The low roll number suggests that he was probably one of the first members, not a replacement, therefore he probably got this dog tag before the blood group started to be added to their identity disks.
    My question is: are these tags that were issued before blood groups became regulation all fake, or were they stamped with a blood group at a later date than when they were issued? Or am I missing something here?

Thanks for reading this post and if you can answer this question, I would greatly appreciate it. I hope that if I learn enough about this topic, I can help other people as well.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Blood group on EKM's for units made before September, 1942.
    P
    Many

?

Blood type imprinting is very complicated. Some follow the rules and some do not.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Blood group on EKM's for units made before September, 1942.   Blood group on EKM's for units made before September, 1942.  

?

This is a sample of early dog tag without blood type imprinting.

The summary is as follows.

- Some units required blood type imprinting, and some did not. (case by case)
    - 'Into' the T.O. range sample? It doesn't matter if your sample doesn't have a blood type imprint.
    - 'Out' of the T.O. range sample? If there is no blood type stamp, it is judged as an unissued dog tag.. ( need Soldbuch or Wehrpass )

Best regards
    S.W.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Blood group on EKM's for units made before September, 1942.  
    Last edited by Montag; 02-09-2021 at 08:50 AM.