Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

homemade POW tag

Article about: A different type of tag to go towards my Stalag 1A collection. I would think homemade but the patina on the back is the same as on the edges and inside the holes. The tag has no id numbers.

Default homemade POW tag

A different type of tag to go towards my Stalag 1A collection. I would think homemade but the patina on the back is the same as on the edges and inside the holes. The tag has no id numbers. For me I think its old but just a little strange. Maybe they ran out of tags and had to make some in advance of taking new prisoners. I do have tags that have had there previous owners crossed off and reissued. Any thought....thanks ....paul.homemade POW tag

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement homemade POW tag
    P
    Many

?

Paul,

I don't think this is an ID tag for a person, there are no holes or any way to attach it to anything. Not sure how it could have been used or what this is for. Maybe some kind of camp token?

Eike41..... Yes I had seen that, maybe that was the last line of construction. In my mind you would have drilled the holes once you have the basic shape of the tag and then stamp it. Who is to say that construction was to... cut the tag shape, stamp and then drill. I just dont know. What is clear is that It seems that the camp 1A &1B did things it own way. So far in my collecting they seem to be the camps which ID the nationality of the tag owner. Like all rules there is an exception and that is Oflag 68 later named (1F) whos tags have a R after the Id number for Russian. Not come across any other 68 tags with different letters. Well that is in the early part of the war. So the French were deported to the camp in 1940, and the camp used the letters (FZ) to indicate Franch. When the Italians were introduced to prison life in 1943 a lot of French tags were crossed off and reused with (JT) for Italy. The camp policy seems to be that if an inmate dies he is stripped of everything and it is all reissued even the old uniforms, and it seems the tags. Philippe Constant who has put together a essay on the camp talks about this. .....paul.