Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Luftwaffe and Kriegsmarine Tags - Assuming fake?

Article about: I got these with a pile of good ones...though I don't necessarily have issues with the first one...the 2nd one brings up concnerns. First is from the Uboot Repair Facility at Brest. Second i

Default Luftwaffe and Kriegsmarine Tags - Assuming fake?

I got these with a pile of good ones...though I don't necessarily have issues with the first one...the 2nd one brings up concnerns.

First is from the Uboot Repair Facility at Brest.

Second is a ZG26 tag...

Both are Steel...

Thoughts on these?

TIA

Mike

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe and Kriegsmarine Tags - Assuming fake?
    P
    Many

?

Hi Mike,

Welcome to the WRF. Yeah, I don't like either one of them- the Uboot one is just WAY too 'interesting' to not have a great chance of being a fake, and the ZG26 is even moreso- particularly in light of the fact that flying units and Fallschirmjäger units used coded discs, not usually plain text ones. There's some evidence the former may have for maybe certain personnel, (i.e., only flying personnel got the coded ones), or something like that but it's not clear. But considering there are at least 6 codes for ZG26 known and the disc has the added possible problem of being way too general- i.e., just ZG26 and not any particular subunit, AND it has 'Horst Wessel' on, which is more 'sexy' but more worrysome for it, I'd highly doubt it's real.

Other oddities are that both are fairly low numbers, suggesting they're very eary, and yet there's no wear on them whatsoever, and if you're right that both are steel, that's very strange- although the ZG26 does look like aluminum; have you checked them with a magnet? Steel discs are suggested to have come into use in 1941, so that conflicts directly with the super-early ZG26.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

Hi!!

Thanks for the reply...and HELLOOOOOOOO to my old home of Vancouver...

okey dokey...

I made a mistake on the Horst Wessel one...it is in-fact aluminum. It felt heavier than other aluminum ones I have, and also much "harder", so I just assumed it was steel.

Though you cannot tell so much in the photos...these have been sanded or "cleaned"...there are fine scratched thoughout that look like someone did something to the fronts.

I have owned (and still own) "general" disks...for example, I have a tag from WNF, which was a Messerschmitt Factory in Austria. It came from a veteran estate in Austria and simply states:

WNF
    WERK2 384 BLTG 4

No blood type at all...just a simple means of ID'ing where this person was assigned to work at the factory.

Is it possible that either of these could have been similar? Maybe for mechanics at ZG26...or "non-essential" perosonnel maybe?

Also, there seems to be pitting around where the stamps show thorugh on the back...is that common? I took that as age...?

Thoughts?

Mike

?

Well hello back Mike- I bet you miss it if you're anywhere else in the country freezing your backside off, eh? LOL

I know of no support for the idea that non-flying personnel had different, plain text discs. I now recall that the one instance that it was suggested there might be proof turned out not to be valid. So you'd need to find the Soldbuch of a mechanic or whatever that showed he had a plain text disc from the field unit (an Ersatz unit doesn't do it) AND one from ZG26 specifically to show they used 'Horst Wessel' on these theoretical discs. A tall order there. It's infinitely more likely it's simply a fake.

And I don't think that's pitting on the backs, it's just that the stamping was done on a non-smooth surface, hence the marks only being right behind a stamped character.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...