Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Rare relic Erkennungsmarke: Legion Freies Indien

Article about: Yesterday i found a really nice EKM relic. which belonged to one of the 1500 Indian soldiers stationed in Zandvoort (Holland) Legion Freies Indien shield. Enjoy! Zandvoort (Holland) May 1943

?

Amazing to see this piece. I have this book and really enjoyed it. Congratulations.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Rare relic Erkennungsmarke: Legion Freies Indien
    P
    Many

Very rare indeed!

?

I would rely like to know how that these troops could possibly wear a combat helmet. in a combat situation, with the large turbins / head wraps that they have on there heads? were they even issued one. ?

I don't expect they were forced to wear a helmet the turban after all being part of their culture. In the UK today Sikhs may drive a motorcycle without a crash helmet If their religion requires to wear a turban. Regards Paul

?

Paul, thank you for that reply to my question. still I find it strange that they are exempt, from helmets? oh well. jmho.

?

As far I know they didn't weer helmets. I find it very fascinating that they were part of the war. And I'm jealous of this great find. I live in the upper part of Holland and we don't have finds like that over here.

?

what happened to all of the militaria that the GERMANS left when the GERMANS left the country? the country after all was under their rule, right? just courious?

For me the interesting thing is the bayonet. it looks like an Mosin nagant 1891/30 which as you might know is a Russian bayonet. German troops did use this bayonet with captured rifles in WWI with earlier modal bayonet and was held in reserve in WWII. If the Indian were using the Mosin rifle then that would be different ammo just for them! (Russian 7.62R and the stranded German rifle ammo 7.92) What would be good to know if it ever gets cleaned what marks are on it.(any German stamping). I know its a little off topic but the photo did appear in the thread..Just looked again and the empty cartridge cases seem to be 7.92mm.....paul

Quote by timeout View Post
    For me the interesting thing is the bayonet. it looks like an Mosin nagant 1891/30 which as you might know is a Russian bayonet. German troops did use this bayonet with captured rifles in WWI with earlier modal bayonet and was held in reserve in WWII. If the Indian were using the Mosin rifle then that would be different ammo just for them! (Russian 7.62R and the stranded German rifle ammo 7.92) What would be good to know if it ever gets cleaned what marks are on it.(any German stamping). I know its a little off topic but the photo did appear in the thread..Just looked again and the empty cartridge cases seem to be 7.92mm.....paul
    Without knowing the true context of the finds it is not a good idea to assume that they are all related to Indien Leg.

Yes blackcat you are spot on, but he was showing it with his other finds. So you could assume the finds were from the same area. I hope he comes back and says if they were all found together....paul.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast