Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

SS-Kavallerie-Brigade - A.R.

Article about: This is EKM found in my late grandmother's drawer last week. Location is in Batschka region, Donauschwaben. I'm 90% sure it is has nothing to do with my late grandfather, who by the family s

Default SS-Kavallerie-Brigade - A.R.

This is EKM found in my late grandmother's drawer last week. Location is in Batschka region, Donauschwaben. I'm 90% sure it is has nothing to do with my late grandfather, who by the family story, was apolitical, minded his own business but got briefly drafted at the end of the war (don't know the unit but he was Donauschwaben in what was then Hungary), then escaped home. Unfortunately he didn't leave in time and, anyway that's another story.

So, I'm puzzled with this EKM. Can someone have idea what time frame this EKM was from ('41'-42?), how can someone from this area end up in that unit, since "Florian Geyer" which was formed later was formed from Donauschwaben...

Maybe to much for this post, what is "16", and is there anyway to find who it belonged to? (hopefully not my grand dad )

Anyway, so here is it, Artillery Regiment, SS-Kavallerie-Brigade, in good condition, definitely original, maybe it could be used for a reference to someone.

SS-Kavallerie-Brigade - A.R.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS-Kavallerie-Brigade - A.R.
    P
    Many

A very nice and original tag. As you mentioned, the SS Kavallerie Brigade was in existence from the years ‘41 and ‘42. Before that they were Totenkopf cavalry units, and after that it became SS Florian Geyer. Volksdeutsch from Romania and Hungary were enlisting in the German armed forces as early as 1941. Tens of thousands of ethnic Germans from the Banat and Transylvania were joining SS units by 1942 and 1943. The roll number, 16, was the soldier’s personal number within this unit. Here’s a tag from the same unit, with a slightly higher roll number.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture SS-Kavallerie-Brigade - A.R.  

Very nice find OnTheVerge, you might consider researching your Grandfather in the German Federal archives if there is a small possibility that this erkennungsmarke was his. As a relative you would be able to obtain some records if they still exist.

Well, that is what is puzzling me. OK, this forum category is for EKM not history research, but AFAIK ethnic Germans from Batschka, unlike Banat, were Hungarian citizens (I have grandfather's Hungarian ID card), and not subject of the conscription to German army (and also not subject of Hungarian conscription). In early days they can voluntarily join SS (Prinz Eugen for example), and only later in the war, 43-44, were "voluntarily" conscripted into SS, never to Wermacht. So that's what is puzzling me for Kav. Brig, they were formed of Reich Germans, only in 1942 when they were mauled in Russia, they were reformed with Volksdeutche into Florian Geyer. I guess, may be wrong.

One question - roll number 16. It is very low number, I guess that means it is let's say, early member of the unit?

And for @BlackCat1982.... Is it possibile to search archives by the unit and roll number only or I can try just with my grandfathers name and sye what pops out?

1000 ethnic Germans from Hungary and 1000 ethnic Germans from Romania joined the Waffen SS (illegally) in 1941. See “Cavalry Divisions of the Waffen SS” by Rolf Michaelis, appendix, “Ethnic Germans in the SS Cavalry “.

If the Federal Archiv has anything for your Grandfather it would be records of his service in the German Armed forces, whether it was Wehrmacht or Waffen SS. There is always the possibility that either he or someone else found the erkennungsmarke discarded in Donauschwaben and kept it over the years and that it has no direct connection to your family.