Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

SS-Panzerdivision Totenkopfverbande

Article about: What do you think about this one? Is it worth \\$235?

It is not a collector book, of course, intended to be filled with rehashed mediocre history and pretty pictures of zackig SS men and their clothes.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS-Panzerdivision Totenkopfverbande
    P
    Many

Here is a somewhat older book, but it has a lot of interesting articles by cutting edge scholars, whom I know personally and they are top flight.SS-Panzerdivision Totenkopfverbande

Here is another on something that interests me as much or more than the fan boy renderings of the glamor Waffen SS officer, and it is about ethnic cleansing
    in eastern Europe.SS-Panzerdivision Totenkopfverbande

?

Thank you very much for sharing all these books and I agree on your thoughts about W. Saris his books. Sadly I don't own one of his books yet (but never say never).
    I wrote down all the titles you have posted so I have an idea what to look for.

And if I (or we) went off topic from the OP, my apologies.

If anyone needs to apologize, it is I. Mr. Wrenn posted a fairly aggressive statement about his treatment here, so I take him at his word that he is serious.
    My pedantry is legion, but I adhere to my principles, since some of you asked me to come back here, so I do so with even more pedantry.
    A successful collector knows what he or she is doing, and Mollo's point of yore is germane: the organizational evolution of the SS.
    I work professionally, somehow, in this field, i.e. let us say organizations, and it is a hobby horse of mine.
    I study how organizations arise and evolve and even collapse. I am paid to do this at a pretty advanced level.
    It is a skill that has availed me a collector, and it avails us all in the minutiae and incredibly arcane aspects of the SS.
    One collector here is repulsed by words, for which he or she added fine images that are relevant.
    The challenge and response of the faker and the new collector has been a major feature of this site,
    and I have tried to meet this need in a manner that jibes with my professional principles.
    Some of us have come together here to share knowledge, and others come here to prevent us from doing just that.
    The merit of the collective effort is that each person can add something of merit when it works properly.
    Mr. Wrenn has apparently been grateful to receive the insights, and he even thanked us.
    I am grateful for the thanks.

Quote by Dschop View Post
    Thank you very much for sharing all these books and I agree on your thoughts about W. Saris his books. Sadly I don't own one of his books yet (but never say never).
    I wrote down all the titles you have posted so I have an idea what to look for.

And if I (or we) went off topic from the OP, my apologies.

Please buy Wim's books. He is there with you in Holland, so you must be able to do so. His books are also sold in my favorite book seller in Berlin,
    and I am sure they are also sold in the Low Countries, since there is such a lively military collector biotope there.
    Or you can order them from Bender in California, but I do not know what the porto runs in this case.

Here you go:

https://www.zinnfigur.com/

?

Thanks for posting public! Your knowledge has the ability to really help people. I understand that it's extremely frustrating to deal with everything you go through with some members but for those who has a sincere desire to learn, we are genuinely appreciative of you taking the time to help. Although there is probably no way to stop all of the people who use/abuse people like yourself, with such a wealth of knowledge and experience; hopefully they will become fewer and fewer over time. For those like myself, it would be a shame to lose such a valuable resource. Thanks again for taking the time to help!

Thanks for your thanks. It is the exception, actually. I just do not know who is at the other end of the grapefruit can and the string most of the time.
    The corps of civic-minded and informed persons is small and has shrunk. Many people attracted to regalia in the III. Reich already have a pretty vicious
    social pathology, and the internet means that we are especially enjoined to endure it with a stiff upper lip. Actually, a large hammer is the proper response.
    I kept stiff upper lip for years, following the fine example of our master, but the whole thing has deteriorated in the last couple of years since the general crisis has taken hold with civility and civilization and so forth.

In any case, I am happy to help you while I ride my hobby horse and indulge my pet peeves. There is a wide range of approaches to all of this, and I take the high road, and the rocky way, as it were. That is, the imperative for a smart collector, who sees thing from all azimuths. I also get very angry when my bona fides are challenged, which is a character flaw of the worst type, but it arises from bad experiences here. There were a number of ankle-biters who took the indirect approach against Delich via me, and caused a lot of heartache. There were also people who physcially threatened harm to close friends of mine.
    And on and on.

Thanks for the thanks and good luck with your projects. I am sure you will go far.

I also do not think that, as a conventional history teacher and researcher, you can actually teach history properly through this medium.
    I am sure that others will strongly disagree, but I just do not buy it.
    We do have some good threads, when the right principals and the right principles are in action, but this is the exception.
    When it works, it works nicely, but I just do not know how a beginner sees things that I have looked at for more than fifty years,
    and the means of analysis via the pictures and so forth.

Much of the time it goes wrong and goes wrong badly. I mean, where do I have to begin?
    With this one dog tag there was an easy place to begin, but a lot of it is coup de oeil.
    Also, I am death on a cracker when it comes to check lists.
    On the other site there were a clique of stitch faeries and forehead pressure savants who concocted the most wild a$$ check lists made
    of errors and false premises.
    It is a real bugbear of mine.
    The thing hinges on the distinction between training and education. My aim is to educate you to do better, but I cannot train anyone at this.
    Niemals!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7