Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

1913 Military Aviator Badge - Rarest of the Rare

Article about: Here is an example of the absolute rarest aviation badge in the US aviation field. There were only 27 of these awarded, and according to Duncan Campbell, there may have been 28 - but that is

Default 1913 Military Aviator Badge - Rarest of the Rare

Here is an example of the absolute rarest aviation badge in the US aviation field. There were only 27 of these awarded, and according to Duncan Campbell, there may have been 28 - but that is not clear. The badge was created by General Order 39 on May 23, 1913. Originally, it was to be struck in silver to correspond with the rifle and pistol qualification badges of the era. However, it was decided that they were to be struck in 14 kt gold.

The badges were die struck at Rock Island Arsenal, and by the firm of Blackington. There are noticeable differences in the two when compared side by side. After striking, they were hand chased to bring out and finish the fine details.

An interesting side bar concerning the original die - many years ago, it was decided to strike a very limited number from the original dies, but in brass. Unfortunately since brass is much harder that gold, the die was damaged during re-striking.

I do not own this badge. The one shown was sold in the recent Duncan Campbell auction in San Franciso a few months ago.
    Attached Images Attached Images 1913 Military Aviator Badge - Rarest of the Rare  1913 Military Aviator Badge - Rarest of the Rare 
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Default Re: 1913 Military Aviator Badge - Rarest of the Rare

Nice One Steven and how much could this treasure could go today in an auction ?
    and are the 27 (28) are all in individual collection or museum ?
    Frenchy

Quote by frenchy View Post
    Nice One Steven and how much could this treasure could go today in an auction ?
    and are the 27 (28) are all in individual collection or museum ?
    Frenchy
    Hi Frenchy,

If memory serves me right, the one shown here went for around $22,000.00. All of the badges are not accounted for, I personally know of only two that are in private collections, and one in the Air Force Museum. I would imagine that some where, there have been some that have been sold at flea markets, or estate sales as costume jewelry or sweetheart pieces. This is one of those obscure US badges that is not as easily recognizable as a true 'wing' to the general population. So I could see one or two of these lying in someone's jewelry box or junk box - not knowing what they have.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Thanks for the answer Steven and i am still amaze with what is left out there in people 's hand not knowing what they have is worth a lot not only for the money but the historical side of the item

Frenchy

Quote by frenchy View Post
    Thanks for the answer Steven and i am still amaze with what is left out there in people 's hand not knowing what they have is worth a lot not only for the money but the historical side of the item

Frenchy
    My pleasure Frenchy. It is indeed amazing what is lying around waiting to be discovered.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]