Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Air Inspection Dept. Markings in British items.

Article about: I have a khaki 1937 pattern battledress blouse that has the AID stamp inside it. There are no other labels. I thought this mark was purely for flying equipment? Why would it be in a BD?

Default Air Inspection Dept. Markings in British items.

I have a khaki 1937 pattern battledress blouse that has the AID stamp inside it. There are no other labels.

I thought this mark was purely for flying equipment?

Why would it be in a BD?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Air Inspection Dept. Markings in British items.  
    Last edited by Unionjack; 04-23-2012 at 06:35 AM. Reason: removal of duplicate photo

Default Re: Air Inspection Dept. Markings in British items.

Bear in mind khaki BD was worn as Heavy Working Dress by the RAF as well as also being worn by pilots of the Tactical Air Force.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

I realise RAF Heavy Duty Dress was khaki, and therefore this might be an example of such, but I was under the impression that the AID mark was for items that were specifically flying equipment. Most of the HD BD would have been used in a non aircrew role.

Most likely inspected for wear by aircrew.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Bear in mind khaki BD was worn as Heavy Working Dress by the RAF as well as also being worn by pilots of the Tactical Air Force.

Cheers, Ade.
    Army pattern BD was actually issued to all members of the 2nd Tactical Air Force, not just pilots.

Rob

Rob

Are you certain it actually was Army pattern? I think someone once said the HDD trousers had two back pockets for instance.

I wonder if BD for the Glider Pilot Regiment was Air Insp. marked?

Quote by Unionjack View Post
    Are you certain it actually was Army pattern? I think someone once said the HDD trousers had two back pockets for instance.

I wonder if BD for the Glider Pilot Regiment was Air Insp. marked?
    All I can say for sure is that I have never actually seen a khaki BD like that, but of course, such a thing could exist. The only references I have read suggest it was Army pattern BD. This would be something you would have to research. To start with, could we see the whole jacket and see if it has any RAF characteristics?

There is the possibility, of course, that "AID DE8" has nothing to do with the Air Inspection Department, and is just a coincidence of lettering. I have seen, and own, British Army BD with ink stamped markings similar to that. The 'A' could stand for 'Army' too...

Rob

The blouse appears as a standard 37 pattern item, but has been open collar converted. No scalloped pocket flaps or anything unusual.

If you look carefully you may see the stamp is actually A.I.D. That is definitely the mark of the Air Inspection Dept. I have an Air Dispatchers harness marked the same.

Quote by Unionjack View Post
    The blouse appears as a standard 37 pattern item, but has been open collar converted. No scalloped pocket flaps or anything unusual.

If you look carefully you may see the stamp is actually A.I.D. That is definitely the mark of the Air Inspection Dept. I have an Air Dispatchers harness marked the same.
    I believe the inspection body you are referring to was actually called the Aeronautical Inspection Directorate. I can read it quite well. What I was saying is that it's just a stamp that says "A.I.D.", and is there any other evidence from the jacket that may back up your identification?

Rob

I've just obtained an ARP blouse that is stamped inside with "AID 8NJ" in white. Curiouser and curiouser...