Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Avro Vulcan XH558 - Last Chance To See It For Many Of Us.

Article about: Hi guys, U.K. members might be interested to know that the last national tour of Avro Vulcan XH558 will take place this weekend on the 10th (the North) and the 11th (the South) over a course

Here's today's itinerary. All timings are approximate and may be subject to change. Aircraft leaves Doncaster at 13:00 GMT.

Good luck everybody!
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Well, talk about "Blink and you'll miss it...."!! I went down the back lane to the Cricket Club and was surprised to see over 20 cars with folks waiting to see it go over. Which it did at a level that hid it behind the boundary trees and the mower shed for the best part of the 10 seconds it lasted, only 5 being visible and no chance to get a bead on it with the camera....

Oh well, at least I saw it.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Managed to get one decent (ish) photo, next to the Thelwall Viaduct!...

We missed it... Flight path slightly altered and earlier than planned.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Oh Well, we're not doing that brilliantly are we??? Here's todays approximate timings for the Southern Tour.

EDIT: This is the last minute "amended" route.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...U.kNNj_CTKeaA0

If we'd been the Observer Corps in the Battle of Britain, Jerry would have just rolled us right up.....

Regards, Ned.

Well, I live near Salisbury so quite a bit of the route was within striking distance and I was out and about on my two wheeled "fast jet" but only having the "time to" figures and not the actually take off time (maybe I am being dumb but I could not find that anywhere on the website!) I failed to catch even a glimpse. Given the level of public approval and actual support I feel a bit cheated by a situation something like being told as a kid "if you're a good boy and look really hard, you might just see the fairies". Sad but what can you do? It seems there is more chance of seeing David Beckham (can't imagine wanting to) but he didn't fly 80000 miles to put the wind up the Argies did he? Or maybe he did in a less interesting way.

I'll have to make do with video I suppose.

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

We went one better than you Mark, (I actually FORGOT that she was due to fly over today, but, as the wife and I were on our way to Salisbury, going past Middle Wallop camp, we hit a "log-jam" because of all the traffic that was parked up, light comes on in brain and suddenly remembers, Eventually managed to find a parking spot on the verge about 200yards down the road from the AAC Museum and got to see the old girl fly over, and I will freely admit that it was "a bit dusty" at the road side when she came over. (brought back loads of memories of watching them fly over our house when I was growing up in Yorkshire, we lived about 10 miles from Finningly and were on a regular flight path for the Vulcans and Victors)

I did get some photo's on my phone camera, so I will attempt to upload them at some point.

Regards etc

Ian D

I did the same completely forgot until I saw a lot of people parked up I was just on my way home trying to get back before she flew over then at a set of traffic lights near my house she just appeared. I managed or my daughter actually did to get these photo's on the phone.

Avro Vulcan XH558 - Last Chance To See It For Many Of Us.Avro Vulcan XH558 - Last Chance To See It For Many Of Us.Avro Vulcan XH558 - Last Chance To See It For Many Of Us.Avro Vulcan XH558 - Last Chance To See It For Many Of Us.Avro Vulcan XH558 - Last Chance To See It For Many Of Us.

Quote by scottmadoo View Post
    I did the same completely forgot until I saw a lot of people parked up I was just my way home trying to get back before she flew over then at a set of traffic lights near my house she just appeared. I managed or my daughter actually did to get these photo's on the phone.
    Now I am even more gutted!

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Just found this on Youtube and thought I'd post it here, air to air cockpit footage of the Vulcan with the Red Arrows last month at Southport Airshow. Brings a lump to the throat so it does.....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast