MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

BOB Pilot Flying Gear

Article about: I received these pieces in the mail yesterday, a complete second pattern E Type flying helmet named to P/O A.R.F. Thompson along with his Type H oxygen mask. When I bought the helmet and mas

?

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    Yes, it was the UK version. But as I say I could be wrong. It was an episode broadcast from the 'Flying Scotsman.' The episode was in series 39 and called: 'Golden Age Of Travel.'

Update... I've tracked the episode down, and the helmet shown is actually a 'B' type with Gosport tubes. The only bit I got right was the fact it was worn by a former WW2 pilot when flying for B. O. A. C. Apologies for building your hopes up.
    No apologies necessary. Actually, I didn't think it was the same helmet, otherwise the seller would most likely have asked for a great deal more for it. Normally, BoB pilot gear does not sell cheaply. To be honest, I did not know its origin until after I bought it, I just wanted a good E Type helmet and the H Type mask for my collection. Now if I could find a D Type helmet and a set of MK VII goggles, I would be very happy.

The 'B' type fetches around £500 for a half-decent one over here. But I can remember a time when they had little value.

?

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    The 'B' type fetches around £500 for a half-decent one over here. But I can remember a time when they had little value.
    I've been collecting U.S. WWII uniforms and equipment for over 25 years, RCAF and RAF for a shorter period. I have noticed that since the release of Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers, prices have gone crazy. I've been fortunate in that I have fallen into some pretty remarkable deals in the past couple of years. This E Type and mask just one example. I have a set of boxed MK IIIA goggles on the way to me that I got for 1/3 of the normal selling price. Feels good to be in the right place at the right time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2