Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

FAKE World War I Allied Forces Bullion & Metal Wings

Article about: by hawk3370 Steve, Where did you find these jewels. Perhaps they would be willing to trade these three fabulous wing badges for lets say my Riable DSC group. What do you think? Thanks for sh

Default Re: FAKE World War I Allied Forces Bullion & Metal Wings

Another fake from the same source in postings 18-20...

A DIRECT quote from the online auction description - "This reproduction is totally handmade as were the oiginals and according to this design patent."
    Attached Images Attached Images FAKE World War I Allied Forces Bullion & Metal Wings 
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

I feel I need to make a statement at this point concerning the past few wings I posted. I feel I am bordering on violating my initial comments about not attacking anyone. I do not want to do that, and there is a fine line when discussing fakes for the benefit of others.

I still hold no ill-will toward those who really do not know that they might be selling a fake. However, flooding the collecting world with fakes that WILL confuse collectors is another matter.

I really do not want to make this an attack thread, but we must arm ourselves with knowledge. In my study and reading about WWI wings, I have found that skilled craftsman have made fake WWI wings and aged them so expertly, that they would fool even the most advanced wing connoisseur.

Please, search online auctions, study wings offered as reproductions and then look carefully at those that are being sold second and third hand that are presented as originals. I have knowledge of admitted fakes being sold later as originals by another seller who was fooled by them. The creator of the piece advised the seller that they were the one that made them. No matter how crude a piece, there will always be a buyer with more money than knowledge. That being said, we must take responsibility for what we obtain, and we must study. Doing so will save us money and keep us from becoming sour to collecting.

I said all of that to say this, I despise fakes of any kind and personally I feel that they not only hurt the collecting arena, but also that fakes/reproductions have no place in a serious collection.

In case you haven't noticed......I love this period of time, and the men who's courage is represented in original period pieces. My intent is to help keep our collections pure...
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Here is another fake wing that is pretending to be a US made example on the front...the reverse uses a British style pin - there is nothing in the design of this wing that would indicate a British style. The quality of the piece is sub-standard, with many shortcuts taken in the details. Look at the shoulders, they are formed by placing strands of bullion along side each other and then a twisted wire (as used to outline the top of the wings) was placed around and over the shoulder to give "definition". A real wing would exhibit a high level of detail with individual feathering in the shoulders.

Another indicator is the appearance of an attempt to age the bullion. It is quite possible that an acid solution was used to accomplish this, however, the effect is less than convincing. Notice how the "wear" was only applied to the high points with fresh silvering visible in the low points. This aging attempt addresses only the effects of contact wear, not the effects of oxidation, dust and oil from handling over nine
    + decades. Every authentic bullion wing that I have seen has aged to some degree in the recesses as well. This wing is currently on an on-line auction site with bids...
    Attached Images Attached Images FAKE World War I Allied Forces Bullion & Metal Wings  FAKE World War I Allied Forces Bullion & Metal Wings 
    Last edited by Steven M; 02-21-2010 at 04:56 AM.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Steve - I think you have provided enough information to help fellow collectors make sure they really look closely at what they are buying.

One of the wings you posted sadly went for $900 plus dollars so I hope the buyer either reads this thread or the one at the "other forum" which your good friend moderates.

As a side note the seller does offer a return policy... if only the buy was a member of the "forums"

PS IMHO the seller does not know this is a reproduction.

Cheers
    John

Quote by John Cooper View Post
    Steve - I think you have provided enough information to help fellow collectors make sure they really look closely at what they are buying.

One of the wings you posted sadly went for $900 plus dollars so I hope the buyer either reads this thread or the one at the "other forum" which your good friend moderates.

As a side note the seller does offer a return policy... if only the buy was a member of the "forums"

PS IMHO the seller does not know this is a reproduction.

Cheers
    John

Howdy John,

Thank you. I am very grateful for your looking in and posting. As a result of our conversation today, and because of some information I was given by another forum friend, I agree with you about the seller not knowing concerning the wing in question. As she always states in her auctions, these items were her husbands. I know my wife hasn't a clue about most of my collection aside from what I tell her in my ramblings (which she usually ignores).

Perhaps I will compose a polite message to the seller with a link to this thread. I can understand the frustration of someone who is trying to be honest in their sales, but just doesn't have the knowledge in this area. It wasn't long ago that I didn't know that much myself, and am grateful to those who have helped me. Perhaps this seller will feel the same...

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Steve - I think simply offering to provide free advice on wings may be best. The problem with online information is that it can be mis-understood.

Just my two cents worth!

John

From an on line auction. It can't decide if it wants to be American or British. The craftsmanship is awful and the reverse mesh backing is a giveaway (just in case the front wasn't enough to make you run).

Described as a "Mystery" wing...I agree.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture FAKE World War I Allied Forces Bullion & Metal Wings   FAKE World War I Allied Forces Bullion & Metal Wings  

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Here is yet another fake wing (Observer) from a well known auction site. The wing was made as a reproduction, and is being sold as a such. This one would not fool many except those with very little or no time in studying and researching wings.

The "O" is not correctly proportioned, and the wing itself resembles one that was hand carved as sometimes (rarely) found from the period. This wing however is cast, and lacks detail.
    Attached Images Attached Images FAKE World War I Allied Forces Bullion & Metal Wings 

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

(edit)

Steve - IMHO not even a good filler

John

Quote by John Cooper View Post
    (edit)

Steve - IMHO not even a good filler

John
    I agree John. I think you know how I view fakes as fillers...only good filler is a dead filler.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture FAKE World War I Allied Forces Bullion & Metal Wings  

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast