MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

FAKE World War I Allied Forces Bullion & Metal Wings

Article about: by hawk3370 Steve, Where did you find these jewels. Perhaps they would be willing to trade these three fabulous wing badges for lets say my Riable DSC group. What do you think? Thanks for sh

Default Re: FAKE World War I Allied Forces Bullion & Metal Wings

Here is a trio of fakes that was just "won" by someone for $129.00. I am confident that the high bidder was taking a gamble on the metal Observer wing being original...I think he lost. It is crudely made, with poorly scribed feathers. I can't imagine any Observer wearing something of such sub-standard quality. The middle and lower wings are just horrible and probably wouldn't fool too many people...at least I hope not.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture FAKE World War I Allied Forces Bullion & Metal Wings   FAKE World War I Allied Forces Bullion & Metal Wings  

[B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Here is another fake RMA badge. Note the fresh fugitive shiny solder blobs and poor detailing in the beading around the wing and shield. Also, note the lack of gold for the "US", gold was cheap in the period, and pilots had egos - you do the math. An attempt was made however to use a period type drop in barrel catch...be careful.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture FAKE World War I Allied Forces Bullion & Metal Wings   FAKE World War I Allied Forces Bullion & Metal Wings  

[B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Steve,

There is a WWI bullion Military Aviators wing on Ebay at the mo......
    ( And a metal one following it that's starting at $250.00 )
    Have you seen these ? !

Regards,

Steve.

Hi Steve,

If you are talking about item #'s 330411839352 & 310204756002, they are both garbage in my opinion. I haven't had a chance to add them to the list yet... Feel free to add them with your observations.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Quote by Steven M View Post
    Hi Steve,

If you are talking about item #'s 330411839352 & 310204756002, they are both garbage in my opinion. I haven't had a chance to add them to the list yet... Feel free to add them with your observations.
    Hey, Steve.

Those are the ones ! Thought you might get a laugh......

These things appear on ebay all the time. There is one fellow in particular
    who advertises his own "museum grade" repros continually.
    I wonder how many folks fall for them ?

Regards,

Steve.

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Hey, Steve.

Those are the ones ! Thought you might get a laugh......

These things appear on ebay all the time. There is one fellow in particular
    who advertises his own "museum grade" repros continually.
    I wonder how many folks fall for them ?

Regards,

Steve.
    Steve,

Yes, believe me, I know the seller quite well... I am finding that there are some who knowingly spend money on "reproductions" i.e. fakes, for "fillers". I will never understand that mentality, but as long as there are those who think this way, there will be a market. Also, I would not put it past unscrupulous types to buy these and them peddle them as originals at shows. For this reason, I started this thread, I just hope it has/will help the people who are looking for originals, and not looking to add meaningless frauds to their collections.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Come on guys, I know for a fact that I am not the only one here who can detect fake wings...start posting!!!

Here is an example of what I believe to be a fake "cap" or "sweetheart" size wing. The piece is cast, and the "T14kt" marking on the reverse is a bit of a mystery to me as there is no gold on the piece. Whatever the case, it is ugly and substandard in quality. The prongs appear to be cast as well.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Fake Military Aviator wing. The back is the death blow for me...
    Attached Images Attached Images FAKE World War I Allied Forces Bullion & Metal Wings  FAKE World War I Allied Forces Bullion & Metal Wings 

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Default Re: Fake WWI Allied Forces Bullion & Metal Wings

Quote by Steven M View Post
    Fake Blackinton Military Aviator Badge. I can say that this badge is a fake with confidence as I know a very knowledgeable individual who actually has an original. The provenance of his badge is rock-solid. The following information was obtained from the owner of an original badge.

REAL Blackinton badges are marked "V.H.B STERL." on the reverse of the eagle and the suspension bar. They were NOT struck in gold, but were gold plated sterling. Silver was applied to the flags on either side.

The badge below is currently up for auction on the net. It does not appear to be "unmarked" gold as the ad claims.

Hi Steve !

I had wondered if you had seen this one..............Even if this badge
    were real, it can't be worth the asking price of $7,750.00 ! !

Makes me laugh ! !

Did the seller get taken for a ride ? ! ? .........

Regards,

Steve.

Default Re: Fake WWI Allied Forces Bullion & Metal Wings

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Hi Steve !

I had wondered if you had seen this one..............Even if this badge
    were real, it can't be worth the asking price of $7,750.00 ! !

Makes me laugh ! !

Did the seller get taken for a ride ? ! ? .........

Regards,

Steve.
    Hi Steve,

The seller has re-listed this at least twice, that in itself should tell you something. IF it were a real attributed example, it would fetch $10,000+ easily. Duncan Campbell had a Rock Island Arsenal example in his collection which was auctioned after his passing, I believe it sold for in the $20K range.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast