Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

FAKE World War I Imperial German Flight Badges

Article about: Here is another fake Bavarian Observer badge, but not a very good one. The fixtures on the rear are modern, and the overall detail of the badge is poor. The crown is ill-proportioned and the

Default Re: FAKE World War I Imperial German Flight Badges

Damn!

Quote by wingandprop View Post
    Damn!
    Wingandprop,
    Two things I hate to hear is "Damn" and "Oh S--T". Me suspects that you found a questionable badge. Any chance you could post some pic as a learning experience for other members.
    Thanks,
    Terry

Several badges, at least a couple of which were always suspect, but my Bavarian pride and joy was seemingly beyond reproach...until now. Pictures of the good and the bad and the unknown. I have a couple with no hallmarks at all that I am unsure about. I would be interested in any comments. The Bavarian badge first, with all the warning signs set out in the earlier posts. The flaw is present, which I think is the kiss of death, but I should note that not all experts agree about the shape of the bowl for the head of the pin being right or wrong. The "baker's hat" style is freely acknowledged as the safest, but at least some still believe the shape on this badge's reverse is also valid. But damn that flaw in the right lower corner of the pin bowl! I bought this from Hermann Historica about 10 to 15 years ago:

FAKE World War I Imperial German Flight BadgesFAKE World War I Imperial German Flight BadgesFAKE World War I Imperial German Flight BadgesFAKE World War I Imperial German Flight Badges

Another Bavarian, this one a Cliche.

FAKE World War I Imperial German Flight BadgesFAKE World War I Imperial German Flight Badges

And this observers badge, unhallmarked. I have seen the comment about the badges from this period having the more opaque and less dynamic black peppered red, and that may be true for Juncker badges, but this much more dazzling technique was well known to jewelers long before the war. Even so, I do not know when it was made or by whom.

FAKE World War I Imperial German Flight BadgesFAKE World War I Imperial German Flight BadgesFAKE World War I Imperial German Flight Badges

Now a Zeppelin badge. I am fairly comfortable with this one. Post war, of course, but I believe it is what it purports to be. Not everything I have is counterfeit!

Now an unhallmarked badge that does not have the telltale signs of a fake, but is it real?

FAKE World War I Imperial German Flight BadgesFAKE World War I Imperial German Flight BadgesFAKE World War I Imperial German Flight Badges

And the obligatory gunner's badge. This one I have really suspected almost from the outset. The flaw is there again at the lower right of the pin bowl. This badge reverse is just sloppy, particularly the pin bowl at the top.

Lastly, something that has nothing to do with badges but I know is real. Again, it's just here to remind myself that my collection does have some non-counterfeit items. It was $25 from a junk/antique store in Whitney, Texas. It is from a US Naval Air Station in France and was printed the day of the Armistice. It is very fragile and I have never seen what is printed on the reverse (but I will soon). Truth is, I have to focus on the postitive or I would be crying more than I already am!

Last edited by wingandprop; 04-17-2011 at 09:51 AM.

Hi wingandprop,

the imperial german aviation badges is a vary dangerous field. I learned a lot of collectors and most of them had copies in thier collection, me too.
    Here my comments to yours:

1. the bavarian pilot badge is not a correct Poellath badge. I seen several variant of Poellath badges but this is a bad one. I will never buy a ray back bavarian pilot badge with Poellath mark.

2. not comments

3. the observer badge is a good one but not from the period. I would say it is one from third Reich.

5. the pilot badge is correct. It is the Variant with the Square mark. I had a group with the same badge.

6. the air gunnar is a well known Juncker copy. Look here for a good one.
    Here another one hollow stamped. reverse

Regards Alex

Wingandprop,

In my opinion your bavarian badge falls into the reproduction area. As for the others, I believe your pilots badge is most likely a good piece. The "cliche" style badges I can't speak for as I do not have any first hand knowledge in that particular style. Steve would be your best contact on that subject. Tis a tough area to collect in and getting very expensive these days. Thanks for posting pic of your badges.
    Terry

Thank you gentlemen. "Reproduction" sounds so much nicer than counterfeit, fake, phony, bogus, sham, rip-off, etc. Frankly, my Bavarian badge is beautifully made. It is a shame the counterfeiters can't stick to making things crudely, poorly finished, and ugly. Someone put a lot of work and craftsmanship into that badge, but it's still a fake.

nickraf
    ?

Thank-you, for saving me a shed load of money. I am new to this and without wishing to go over the top, I am always impressed by someone who knows their subject and you clearly do.

This one is still out there for sale. Respectable dealer nevertheless.
    Straightness of fuselage, second berrie left wreath, crown beading, eagle heads, hinge well...
    All wrong IMHO.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture FAKE World War I Imperial German Flight Badges   FAKE World War I Imperial German Flight Badges  

Question Pilot Bayern 1913 / WW1 pilot, opinions/information?

I'm buying this piece from a very reputable dealer. Any opinions or information?

ccj
    ?

Wonder why the thread died...

Your imperial converted to Bavarian interests me. I can't say it's real however...

Quote by Danny Warlick View Post
    I'm buying this piece from a very reputable dealer. Any opinions or information?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast