Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

FAKE World War I Imperial German Flight Badges

Article about: Here is another fake Bavarian Observer badge, but not a very good one. The fixtures on the rear are modern, and the overall detail of the badge is poor. The crown is ill-proportioned and the

Default Re: FAKE World War I Imperial German Flight Badges

Here is another fake Bavarian Observer badge, but not a very good one. The fixtures on the rear are modern, and the overall detail of the badge is poor. The crown is ill-proportioned and the crown supports are too thin.

Here is something worth mentioning regarding Observer badges. Period enamel on these badges will resemble the color of tomato soup (red-orange), not *bright red. Also, look for tiny black specks within the red area, it will look like pepper. These are indicators of a period wartime badge.

*A deeper red enamel without the peppering effect was used on post WWI replacement badges and is legitimate for those badges which fall into that category.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture FAKE World War I Imperial German Flight Badges   FAKE World War I Imperial German Flight Badges  

[B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Hello. I would like people to cast there eyes over this piece. It came with a Third Reich grouping that I bought. I do not know that much about these Imperial badges. All I know at present is that it is an Air Gunners Badge, and that hollow back versions do exist, albeit far cheaper than there solid backed counterparts. I believe that they were silvered and there appears to be some silver wash on the underside of the crown.

I would like some opinions please. Thanks in advance.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture FAKE World War I Imperial German Flight Badges   FAKE World War I Imperial German Flight Badges  

This looks like a commercially made sample from perhaps the '30's,but i would say original with that caveat,,,

Thanks militarymania. It definately has age to it. The tarnish/patination is rather nice and I am guessing is almost impossible to reproduce, even with the advanced techniques used today. It is highly detailed and I have a good feeling about it.

Quote by Steven M View Post
    How about an fake Bavarian Pilot badge marked 'Karl Poellath'...complete with engraving? Same mark, same position.

Being new to the forum and since I am trying to close a deal on a bavarian badge, I must recognize this thread as an awakening-god-given gift to me. Many thanks for your online contribution! I would be most grateful if you could take a few minutes to watch the reverse I am hereby attaching. Would you object something to this item?
    Attached Images Attached Images FAKE World War I Imperial German Flight Badges  FAKE World War I Imperial German Flight Badges 

Otter76,
    Complete fake. Don't walk away from this, run away. Attached are pic of an original. Notice the deep hinge well in the shape of a bakers hat. This badge has been repaired on the bottom catch which in my opinion does not distract from the value of the badge. The Bavarian badges are extremely rare and originals are few and far between.
    Terry

Last edited by hawk3370; 10-20-2010 at 02:20 PM.

hawk3370, I can not thank you enough for you accurate reply. I am actually running like hell, without looking back! regards,

Hang in there a good one will come along. If you have concerns don't hesitate to post them here on this forum. There are a lot of real smart members who can answer about any question.
    Terry

Here my bavarian pilot badge from an unknown maker.

reverse

Regards Alex

Extremely informative...and has left me afraid to closely re-examine at least a couple of my badges! My chief hope arises from the fact that when I first began collecting there was no eBay, so most of mine came from a couple very reputable auktionhauses in Germany. I hope I dodged the bullet, but sooner or later I am going to have to steel myself and take that hard look...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast