Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

German Plane Identification

Article about: I have a picture of my grandfather standing next to a downed German aircraft and I'm hoping someone can help me identify the plane and help me figure out if there is a way to get any more sp

Default German Plane Identification

I have a picture of my grandfather standing next to a downed German aircraft and I'm hoping someone can help me identify the plane and help me figure out if there is a way to get any more specific information about there plane/where it crashed/etc. Is the tail number useful in tracking down that sort of information? The number on the tail appears to be "8046" although it is a little hard to read in the attached image. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

My grandpa was in the US 134th Infantry Regiment, 35th Infantry Division. My understanding is that they landed in Normandy in July '44 and fought through France, Germany, and Luxembourg getting to Belgium for the bulge. I have no idea at what point along that journey (or after that) the attached picture was taken.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German Plane Identification  

It is the tail section of a Heinkel HE111... I can't offer any help with the Werke Nr I'm afraid. That's if it is a Werke Nr, because its seems an unusual place for it to be.

Cheers,
    Steve

Very cool photo. Which one is your grandpa?

He 111. No doubt.

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    It is the tail section of a Heinkel HE111... I can't offer any help with the Werke Nr I'm afraid. That's if it is a Werke Nr, because its seems an unusual place for it to be.

Cheers,
    Steve

For those interested, this is an access panel from one such Heinkel - you can see it in situ in this photo.....
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture German Plane Identification   German Plane Identification  

" I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

That isn't a German Heinkel... its a CASA 2.111... the Spanish licence built version powered by Rolls Royce engines.

Cheers,
    Steve

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    That isn't a German Heinkel... its a CASA 2.111... the Spanish licence built version powered by Rolls Royce engines.

Cheers,
    Steve
    True Steve - but its the only photo I could find with the panel......... says he, hijacking someone elses thread
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Quote by Danmark View Post
    True Steve - but its the only photo I could find with the panel......... says he, hijacking someone elses thread

The location of the werknummer is correct for the HE111. If you google the 12 O'clock forum, there might be someone who can give you data on the aircraft, assuming it was lost in combat. Its also possible it was destroyed on the ground.