Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Horsa glider caravan

Article about: This was posted on a local Facebook page. Apparently a family lived in it for many years. It must have come from some distance as none of the local airfields (10+ miles away) had Horsas. I d

Default Horsa glider caravan

This was posted on a local Facebook page. Apparently a family lived in it for many years. It must have come from some distance as none of the local airfields (10+ miles away) had Horsas. I don’t think anything is left of it, but I’ll certainly be asking!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Horsa glider caravan  

****update*****

Apparently a couple of surplus Horsa gliders that had never seen service were bought and then towed into place. This one served as a family home for many years before the family moved out. One end was a bedroom and the other the living room. Part of it was then turned into a workshop before eventually being burnt. I’m trying to find out if any bits still exist
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Horsa glider caravan   Horsa glider caravan  

Horsa glider caravan   Horsa glider caravan  

Maude Starkie, a woman from Cholsey near Wallingford, purchased a Horsa glider after the war. She converted it into a home and lived there until she died at the age of 99 in 2000. The remains of the glider were then taken away by the de Haviland trust. On a similar note, a Handley Page Halifax made a forced landing on the Isle of Lewis in 1945. The central section of the fuselage was purchased by a crofter and turned into a chicken coup. This eventually became the main building block in the Yorkshire Air Museum plan to build a full scale replica of the Halifax bomber. 'Friday the 13th' is truly an astonishing achievement by any stretch of the imagination.

Cheers,
    Steve

Horsa glider caravan

Friday the 13th was from my Fathers Sqn. I get a tad emotional over it, maybe it's just PTSD again!

I recall horsa wheels being used on farm trailers in the past too. The fuselage of the aircraft literally looks like they were made of old orange crates, which only raises my great appreciation for the brave souls who rode them to war.