MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

My Flying Helmet Collection

Article about: Hey guys i thought i would post some of my flying Helmets for you First up is a early B Typre Next is a Type C with G type oxygen radio mask This is a Chinese Mig 15 Pilots Helmet A G Type c

?

Im on my Phone, But that looks nice James. Semper Fi. Phil

Love it James, there's only one problem - it has "property of the US govt" so if you give it to me I'll hand it in for ya OK?

?

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    there's only one problem - it has "property of the US govt"
    In that case. AS an official representative of the US Government,,,I'll take custody of it and just issue you a warning!!!
    Nothing official. Just a wrist slap and nobody need to know about it!!

Just looking out for ya Mate!!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    In that case. AS an official representative of the US Government,,,I'll take custody of it and just issue you a warning!!!
    Nothing official. Just a wrist slap and nobody need to know about it!!

Just looking out for ya Mate!!!

Semper Fi
    Phil
    On the Floor Phil

Thanks Phil and Rene' you are good buddies looking out for me
    Regards James

Hello James,

Going by the large padded earpads, the helmet looks to be an APH-6A, circa 1968. If it has a three piece styrene energy absorbing liner inside, that's what it is. If it has a two piece liner, it's an APH-6D, 1969 onward. The 6B and 6C were dual visor models.

Cheers, Willie.

Many thanks Willie for positively identifying the model type and year of manufacture
    Regards James

Quote by James C View Post
    Many thanks Willie for positively identifying the model type and year of manufacture
    No worries, James. By the large earpads, it would definitely be an APH-6A. The APH-6D had much smaller, plastic/vinyl earcup covers and the inside foam liner was divided into two equal halves as opposed to the three piece one which your helmet would most likely have. Definitely Vietnam era.

I'm tidying up an excess to requirements APH-6D at the moment; getting it ready to swap for a piece of an aeroplane.

Cheers, Willie.

?

Hello all,

I thought I would add another modern flight helmet to the discussion (let me know if this should be its own thread). I have been on the hunt for a flight helmet of any sort but they seem to be harder to come by outside the US. I picked this SPH-4 built in 1988 yesterday and was hoping to find more info on it. It looks nearly complete except for the right visor knob which is missing but it can still flip with just the left. Is there a good place to find replacement parts for these or is just waiting for an eBay listing to pop up? Ideally I would want it looking a little more complete for display but not sure if there is anything else missing. I think it is also missing the NVG mount but those seem less common on these sort of helmets.

I was wondering what would have been attached to the Velcro on the back of the helmet (unit patch, name tag, something practical for flying?) And what the June 2003 sticker may refer to (end of service life or last time inspected?) Also I don’t usually ask for the value of the things I buy, as I usually have a good idea and hopefully selling these things will be someone else’s problem when I am dead. But I am curious as I don’t usually see flight helmets for sale around me (I read that you’re not supposed to sell these things out of the US but not sure if that’s true because I got it from a surplus seller outside the US) and it was a bit of an impulse buy and my wife is a bit astounded by the price I paid. It was around the equivalent of $300 USD.

Thank you!
    My Flying Helmet CollectionMy Flying Helmet CollectionMy Flying Helmet CollectionMy Flying Helmet CollectionMy Flying Helmet Collection

?

I am afraid they are not getting any cheaper...i am at the stage of selling of my collection .

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast