Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Only Survivor / U.S. Seaplane Crash, WW1

Article about: This is only the tunic, but one of my top 5 favorites. This was a lucky find that was passed over by more than one dealer - It was a little pricey till I learned who he was. Ensign Stanley T

Default Only Survivor / U.S. Seaplane Crash, WW1

This is only the tunic, but one of my top 5 favorites. This was a lucky find that was passed over by more than one dealer - It was a little pricey till I learned who he was.

Ensign Stanley Thompson Curran

Naval Aviator No. 287, Serial No. 28110

Born in NYC April 21, 1894

Cornell University 1917
    3 Years Engineering – Basketball – Beta Theta Pi

Enlisted as Seaman at Newport, RI April 13, 1917

Designated Naval Aviator - January 17, 1918

He died at 4:30 am on October 24, 1949 at his home in Mountain Lakes, NJ of arteriosclerosis.

His wife Helen was a Navy Nurse in WW1 – His son Charles C Curran was a Marine in WW2 and was wounded at Iwo Jima – His daughter; Mary Lou Curran was a Navy Wave.

His Story:...On October 11, 1918, an H-16 flying boat with the side number K-38 took the air at Naval Air Station Killingholme, England early this Friday morning and proceeded on it’s regularly assigned duty connected with mine laying operations in the North Sea. The crew were LTJG Stanley Curran, pilot, LTJG Charles Tyson, co-pilot, Bennett Sergai, Machinist Mate 2nd class, and Robert E. Richardson, Electrician 3rd Class. Near Immingham, the starboard engine cut out and the plane stalled, went into a spin and crashed into the Humber River from about 400 feet at 6:30 am. No reason could be assigned for the crash. Curran was the only survivor. The bodies of Sergai and Richardson, dead by drowning, were recovered from the wreck several hours after the crash. Tyson’s body was recovered from the river about a month later. Curran finished the war in a London Naval Hospital.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Only Survivor / U.S. Seaplane Crash, WW1   Only Survivor / U.S. Seaplane Crash, WW1  

Only Survivor / U.S. Seaplane Crash, WW1   Only Survivor / U.S. Seaplane Crash, WW1  

Only Survivor / U.S. Seaplane Crash, WW1   Only Survivor / U.S. Seaplane Crash, WW1  

Default Re: Only Survivor / U.S. Seaplane Crash, WW1

Dennis,

I remember you telling me about this pickup at a show a year or two ago. I never dreamed that it would turn out to be such a meaningful piece. I can understand easily why this is in your top five.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

I can see why too. Superb peice.

Cheers, Ade.

What a stunner
    Great piece.

Cheers,

Dennis....Dennis....Dennis...

What will you surprise us with next?

I couldn't help but notice the bullion chevron pointing upwards. Excuse the naive question but was that Navy regulation?

-C

Quote by CThomas View Post
    Dennis....Dennis....Dennis...

What will you surprise us with next?

I couldn't help but notice the bullion chevron pointing upwards. Excuse the naive question but was that Navy regulation?

-C
    Navy Regs have the chevron pointing up. I'll provide some other examples later. ----- All of my documented groups (Navy) are in the up position. On an interesting note (to me) the Marine Regs have the chevron pointed down as does the Army. I do have the dress blues to an enlisted Marine with the Northern Bombing Group with the chevron up and confirmed as original by his studio photo in France in 1918. - So much for short answers. ---There ya' go.

DJ

Dennis-
    Mucho appreciated!

Thanks for the lesson in Navy regs. I thought it was something along those lines but I just haven't seen many Navy photos from the era showing the chevrons in this position.

As for those other examples you mentioned, I'd love to see them (when you have the chance).

-C

Quote by CThomas View Post
    Dennis-
    Mucho appreciated!

Thanks for the lesson in Navy regs. I thought it was something along those lines but I just haven't seen many Navy photos from the era showing the chevrons in this position.

As for those other examples you mentioned, I'd love to see them (when you have the chance).

-C
    Will do - DJ

Quote by Belleauwood View Post
    Will do - DJ

Chuck, Here you go - DJ
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Only Survivor / U.S. Seaplane Crash, WW1   Only Survivor / U.S. Seaplane Crash, WW1