MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

RAAF 4 MWU / ACS Airfield Construction Squadron Milne Bay New Guinea 1943-44

Article about: Thought i would share my latest research project for those that are interested. A while ago I came into the possession of a group of very interesting and unique WW2 small sized photo's taken

?

Default RAAF 4 MWU / ACS Airfield Construction Squadron Milne Bay New Guinea 1943-44

Thought i would share my latest research project for those that are interested.
    A while ago I came into the possession of a group of very interesting and unique WW2 small sized photo's taken by a RAAF LAC at Milne Bay New Guinea 43/44.
    He was part of 4 MWU , Works Maintenance Unit , at the time the RAAF also had MWS units , Mobile Works Supply Units as well.
    They were all renamed ACS Air Construction Squadrons on the 14/7/44
    His name was William Handley , #71410
    Anyway there is not much written about them , at all , only a couple of interesting reads really , and not many photos at all .

http://www.contracts.com.au/~jburke/...ways-First.pdf

So I thought I would share what I have. These men travelled and worked in horrendous conditions , equal to task as any front line soldier no matter how impossible it seemed at the time , they got it done. So they should be remembered as such and as an equal to the fighting soldier.
    Tough as Nails these guys , Work Hard , Play Hard , they were generally older in age than the average soldier and played their part in full.

If anyone else has info or photos and stories to tell I would be more than interested in hearing from you.

Cheers Rick

Attachment 1366330

These photos of his are unique in that they are the only one's of its kind anywhere as a Unit / Group Photo at Milne Bay or anywhere that I can find for reference. C /1943

Attachment 1366332

The National Museum might be interested in those.

?

Quote by Anderson View Post
    The National Museum might be interested in those.
    Maybe mate , Im sorting through the collection to get a timeline, and sharing it here for those that are interested.
    It's pretty cool , a picture says a thousand words as they say.
    Includes USAAF fighters & bombers , RAAF fighters and transports , plenty of ships on fire , downed Jap planes , graves , off work on the drink moments , all sorts of stuff.
    Cheers Rick

Attachment 1366867