Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

RAF Air Ministry marked Escape Axe

Article about: Hi Redcar, welcome to the forum! These escape axes, in good condition, sell for around £35/£40 today. Cheers, Ade.

Default Re: RAF Air Ministry marked Escape Axe

Hi Redcar, welcome to the forum!

These escape axes, in good condition, sell for around £35/£40 today.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

The markings on the metal are often very faint indeed. I find a really good wire brushing and a coat of boot polish works wonders.
    "Chillington Arpax" is the most common mark on the Civil Defence axes, "Arpax" being a word play on ARP & axe of course.

Fire service axes can be found with NFS (usually on the rubber handle type) and AFS (often on the earlier wooden handled variety.

I have two in my collection - the red painted one has the markings "Chillington 1939, 21F/1" and the Air Ministry mark along with the previously mentioned markings on the handle. The bare metal one has a "C" in a square, the part number 21F/1 and the AM mark - the handle is smooth and has no markings so am I correct in assuming it is a later model?

RAF Air Ministry marked Escape AxeRAF Air Ministry marked Escape Axe

Ryan turner
    ?

Hi there my dad gave me a axe that looks like yours but I have a square with a c in it ,and the number is 27 n/1 with an arrow that points upwards ,I hasn't got any makers marks on .i wanted to know if its real or what it was used for,any information would be very helpful

Quote by flyingspringbok View Post
    I have two in my collection - the red painted one has the markings "Chillington 1939, 21F/1" and the Air Ministry mark along with the previously mentioned markings on the handle. The bare metal one has a "C" in a square, the part number 21F/1 and the AM mark - the handle is smooth and has no markings so am I correct in assuming it is a later model?

RAF Air Ministry marked Escape AxeRAF Air Ministry marked Escape Axe
    The Chillington Tool factory is still going in Willenhall, Wolverhampton. They make gardening tools and Flymo blades there. I used to shear steel blanks for them when I had my shearing business.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by Ryan turner View Post
    Hi there my dad gave me a axe that looks like yours but I have a square with a c in it ,and the number is 27 n/1 with an arrow that points upwards ,I hasn't got any makers marks on .i wanted to know if its real or what it was used for,any information would be very helpful
    We need a few pictures please Ryan to enable us to help.

Ryan turner
    ?

Hi there I have them on my profile I'm not sure how to post them on here

Use the 'pictures upload' button below the main text box, (you only see this when you do an 'advanced' reply, not a quick one). Click on it, then chose the pictures from your album. Add them to your thread and they will then appear.

Default Rusty Arnhem axe

I like to contribute a picture of the axe I found in 1981 along "Amsterdamseweg" near LZ "L" to this old thread.

RAF Air Ministry marked Escape Axe

Greetings from the Netherlands, Marinus

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2