Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

WWI US Naval Air Service group

Article about: I took a chance and won a uniform group from Affiliated Auctions. Their pictures were terrible but figured I couldn't go wrong with the lot for \\$100 bid. The Air Service marked duffle has go

Default WWI US Naval Air Service group

I took a chance and won a uniform group from Affiliated Auctions. Their pictures were terrible but figured I couldn't go wrong with the lot for $100 bid. The Air Service marked duffle has got to be worth a good chunk of that. It belonged to Thomas Lorenzo Jenkins who enlisted in the US navy in April 1918 and before the end of the month was serving in a NAS station in France. My first question: It looks like he enlisted as a Machinist Mate 1st Class. Would this have been an Aviation Machinist Mate considering how quickly they attached him to an air unit? Card doesn't mention Aviation Machinist Mate but it seems so odd otherwise. Also, question about the uniforms. I understand the white undress uniform did not have the blue sleeves and back and was not used with the kerchief but at least a couple of the uniform tops have a loop in the front which I thought was for the kerchief, is that correct and the uniform regulations are different from what I read? The top on the right is a different style. The one on the left and in the center is a heavier material with straight sleeves including cuffs and a plain back flap (whatever you call the neck area on a navy uniform). The one on the right seems to be the dress uniform with bloused cuffs and rank trim but all in white instead of blue. The kit seems fairly complete for undress uniforms, long johns and skivies. Is all of this normal regulation issue or is some of it the thin silk uniform layer that aviators had on underneath uniforms and flight gear? I think it's really interesting that the sailor was so short that his leggings were shortened. I look forward to hearing what you all think about this. I should mention. First few pictures are how I unwrapped it and later pictures are after gentle cleaning. Stains came out far better than expected. The thin clothing was somewhat rotten so there are holes, before and after cleaning. The last couple photos are of a top that was in the duffle named to a different sailor, F.P. UptonWWI US Naval Air Service groupWWI US Naval Air Service groupWWI US Naval Air Service groupWWI US Naval Air Service groupWWI US Naval Air Service groupWWI US Naval Air Service groupWWI US Naval Air Service groupWWI US Naval Air Service groupWWI US Naval Air Service groupWWI US Naval Air Service groupWWI US Naval Air Service groupWWI US Naval Air Service groupWWI US Naval Air Service groupWWI US Naval Air Service groupWWI US Naval Air Service groupWWI US Naval Air Service groupWWI US Naval Air Service groupWWI US Naval Air Service groupWWI US Naval Air Service groupWWI US Naval Air Service groupWWI US Naval Air Service groupWWI US Naval Air Service group
    Last edited by albatrosdva; 08-03-2019 at 11:26 PM.