Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Is this Capture of Königsberg medal WW2 era?

Article about: Hi all I have been collecting WW2 awards for USA, UK and Germany. I am now moving into Soviet awards and i am thinking of starting with this medal. I have very limited knowledge however i pr

Default Is this Capture of Königsberg medal WW2 era?

Hi all I have been collecting WW2 awards for USA, UK and Germany. I am now moving into Soviet awards and i am thinking of starting with this medal.

I have very limited knowledge however i presume this medal to have been made during or directly after 1945, as i do not want a medal that has been a later production such as in the 60's/70's etc.

Thank you for any help.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is this Capture of Königsberg medal WW2 era?   Is this Capture of Königsberg medal WW2 era?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Is this Capture of Königsberg medal WW2 era?
    P
    Many

Early postwar ('47-'48) which is understandable because at that time most of these were handed out.

?

Hello,

"The medal "For the Capture of Königsberg" is awarded to soldiers of the Red Army, Navy and NKVD troops who directly participated in the heroic assault and capture of the fortified city of Königsberg between January 23 and April 10, 1945. and the organizers and leaders of military operations during the capture of the city.

"For the capture of Königsberg" is the only Soviet Union medal created as a reward for the capture of the fortress city and not in connection with the capture or liberation of the capital.

The medal "For the Capture of Koenigsberg" is worn on the left side of the chest and placed after the medal "For the Capture of Budapest" in the presence of other medals of the Soviet Union.

In 1987, the award "for the capture of Königsberg" was awarded to about 760,000 people."

Wikipedia
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The tab of the medal is solid, U-shaped. This option was awarded a little after the first option, probably in 1947-48. The block is usually made of a single layer of heavy metal." - this can also be seen in the pictures you posted!

Regards,
    Peeloo
    Last edited by Peeloo; 03-23-2024 at 11:16 AM.

?

Perfect example of a late-war or early post-war award with possibly original ribbon and suspension.