Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Display so far

Article about: Hi everyone, I took a break from the German side of collecting for a bit and dove into collecting some soviet medals and awards, so just wanted to share what I've accumulated over the past 1

Default Display so far

Hi everyone, I took a break from the German side of collecting for a bit and dove into collecting some soviet medals and awards, so just wanted to share what I've accumulated over the past 10 months. Criticism is welcomed.

Display so far

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Display so far
    P
    Many

?

Very nice

Tim

?

Excellent display! Room to grow, too. That star badge above the 2 labor medals is unknown to me. What is it?

I think you are doing well for ten months.

I collected quite a few Soviet awards and badges whilst I was serving in Berlin but I pretty much stopped when the market became awash with fakes some of which are absolutely amazing. I am told that the cost of the kind of "jewellery" work involved is cheap enough in that part of the world to make such fakes economical. You need to keep on top of the research, invest in good text books and study the reputable dealer sites and forums. It is every bit as bad and in some cases worse than the prevalent fakery of TR items.

For instance; it is not really possible to say from your picture but do those two OGPW have the Hammer and Sickle emblem attached as separate applique pieces? You may know that the OGPW was re-issued in 1985 as a veterans commemorative and were made in one solid piece. The earlier decorations awarded in specific circumstances had the emblem applied separately and the 1st class was a more complicated construction altogether. I have just taken a couple of quick snaps of two 1st Class items in my collection to hopefully show what I mean.

Keep it up but be careful!

Regards

MarkDisplay so farDisplay so far
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Ah yes thanks for pointing that one out, I believe it's some sort of post soviet union produced award but I'm not sure what its supposed to represent. The girlfriend bought me it and she was excited to find me something so I didn't have the heart not to display it there lol it'll fill a spot till I get something to replace it and hopefully she won't notice

Hi Mark, your right there's alot of good looking fakes put there which had me cautious and third guessing myself when looking around, I only use collectingrussia and sovietawards sites when I buy my awards and medals as they always seemed to be pretty good and reputable.

You are correct my two are both the 85 jamboree awards, I haven't fully committed to buying the wartime ones yet.

Quote by TheGoon View Post
    Ah yes thanks for pointing that one out, I believe it's some sort of post soviet union produced award but I'm not sure what its supposed to represent. The girlfriend bought me it and she was excited to find me something so I didn't have the heart not to display it there lol it'll fill a spot till I get something to replace it and hopefully she won't notice
    If you are talking about the item mentioned in post #3 I don't believe it is Post-soviet or it would not have the hammer and sickle on the red star. It looks like an aluminium piece so that would make it later rather than earlier.

That and the State Crest behind the star leads me to think it is a Militia (Police) or other MVD organisation item. Maybe an exemplary service or qualification badge Beyond that I can't say. Either of the two dealers you mentioned are likely to know.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

For those interested, the Soviet Union became the Russian Federation around 1991. Up to that point I'm sure most Patriotic War orders and medals were displaying the hammer and sickle. After 1991 not real sure what they transitioned to. Of the two OGPW orders posted one is clearly WWII era or immediately after issue and the second in all likelihood, is a 1985 or later issue piece.

Sometimes an easy way to separate war issued orders and medals as opposed to later awarded, say 1975 - 1990 issue is with the engraving of the serial number. All WW2 pieces in my collection have hand engraved issue numbers. Later awards are engraved by a roto-tool. I'm sure there are exceptions but for me this is the quickest and easiest way to make my decision.

Regards,

Gerry C

JustMeinKC!

?

Quote by TheGoon View Post
    Give us a close up of the front and back and I'd be surprised if we can't ID it for you.
    As for it being a gift from the SO I would proudly display that top-center. Any gift from a SO should be cherished. All too often we can get the 'Oh, more militaria?!? Can't you find a fun hobby?' comments.

Dom
    ?

Interesting grouping
    The Guard badge appears to be an MMD !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast