Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Grouping to Guards Efreitor Barmin, 79th Guards Mortar Regiment

Article about: I posted this on a Facebook group earlier, but thought it would be interesting to share it here as well. I'd like to show you my first grouping to one person. Nothing spectacular, no high-en

Cool Grouping to Guards Efreitor Barmin, 79th Guards Mortar Regiment

I posted this on a Facebook group earlier, but thought it would be interesting to share it here as well.

I'd like to show you my first grouping to one person. Nothing spectacular, no high-end awards or fantastic story.
    Just some common things to an ordinary soldier, a frontovik who did his job and had the luck to survive it. But I like it a lot.
    I've compiled this story using information from Pamyat Naroda and the Russian Wikipedia.

Order of the Red Star and Medal for Courage to Michail Petrovich Barmin.

Barmin was born in 1923 in the Kirov region, Russia. He joined the Red Army in June 1942.
    He served as a Guards Efreitor in the 79th Guards Mortar Regiment (Full name after the war - the 79th Guards Mortar Chernivtsi-Berlin Red Banner Order of Suvorov, Kutuzov and Bogdan Khmelnitsky Regiment). He served in this unit from 17th July 1942 till at least October 1947, judging from his military booklet.

Formed in early July 1942 in Moscow as the 79th Guards Mortar Regiment. It was equipped with the model BM-13 Katyusha launchers. After the formation the regiment was sent to the Stalingrad front. For the first time it joined the battle on August 7, 1942 in the village of Vyoshenskaya in the 63rd Army during the Battle of Stalingrad. From the end of August it took part in battles directly outside the city. In January 1943 it was sent to Moscow and in February was included in the 1st Tank Army, in which the Regiment took part in the battles to eliminate the bridgehead of the German fascist troops. In May, it was subordinated to the 6th Guards Army and supported its troops in defensive battles to the south of Oboyan. At the beginning of July, it was reassigned again to the 1st Tank Army (since April 25, 1944, the 1st Guards Tank Army), in which it conducted military operations until the end of the war.
    The Regiment participated in some famous and heavy battles: the Battle of Kursk, Zhitomir, Proskurov, crossing of Dniester and Western Bug rivers, the Warsaw-Poznan Offensive, the East Pomeranian Offensive and finally the assault at Berlin. More information about the Regiment can be found on the Russian Wikipedia.

During the war about 600 soldiers of the regiment were awarded orders and medals.

Barmin's awards: Order of the Red Star ( #1.754.577, 11.05.1945), Medal for Courage (#1.066.943, 17.04.1944), Medal for the Defense of Stalingrad (19.08.1944), Medal for the Liberation of Warsaw (09.06.1945), Medal for the Capture of Berlin (19.06.1945), Order of Patriotic War 2nd Class (1985 Jubilee).

Barmin was proposed for the Order of Patriotic War 2nd Class, but this was downgraded to the Order of the Red Star. The citation:

''On 16th April 1945 in the area of [unknown location] the battalion was subjected to enemy shelling and aerial bombardment. When the Katyusha needed to fire a salvo, the gun layer was wounded; he was replaced by comrade Barmin, after which a salvo was fired. 4 vehicles were burned down and 20 infantrymen were killed.''

I have the citation for his Medal for Courage as well, but it's unreadable to me.
    I also found an interview with a veteran from the same unit as Barmin on Youtube (YouTube). Maybe they knew each other! Unfortunately I can't understand what they're saying at the moment, but hopefully in the near future...

The grouping:
    Order of the Red Star #1.754.577
    Medal for Courage #1.066.943

Citation for the Medal for Courage (unreadable)

Citation for the Order of the Red Star

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Grouping to Guards Efreitor Barmin, 79th Guards Mortar Regiment
    P
    Many

Well done, tastefully presented. . .
    Last edited by Bill Garvy; 09-20-2018 at 02:17 PM.

Very nice grouping! Congrats

?

Quote by Bjorn S View Post
    I have the citation for his Medal for Courage as well, but it's unreadable to me.
    Medal for Courage #1.066.943

Citation for the Medal for Courage (unreadable)
    DECREE #02/n
    79 GUARDS "CHERNOVTSI" MORTAR REGIMENT
    17 July 1944 Field forces
    MEADL "FOR BRAVERY"
    4. Gun crew member Guards private BARMIN Milhail Petrovich, 332 Guard Mortar Squadron. On 07 April 1944, repelling enemy attack in vicinity of Polagich and driving to firing positions, he 4 times substituted wounded gun-layer during the day. He fulfil his duties while under heavy artillery and mortar fire. The combat objective was fulfilled. The enemy counter attacks were repelled.
    Born 1924, Russian, VLKSM member, Drafted to RKKA ??? district military commissariat, Kirov region. Home address ...

That Youtube video features battery commander IVANIKHIN.
    Here is another YouTube video from the 79 Guard Mortar Regiment museum in a school, where the regiment was originally formed in 1942. The museum was organised by IVANIKHIN himself in 1973.

IVANIKHIN:

According to IVANIKHIN testimony, there laughers belong to 79guMR firing during the siege of Berlin.

Combat path of 79 GuMR

?

Quote by Bjorn S View Post
    ''On 16th April 1945 in the area of [unknown location] the battalion was subjected to enemy shelling and aerial bombardment. When the Katyusha needed to fire a salvo, the gun layer was wounded; he was replaced by comrade Barmin, after which a salvo was fired. 4 vehicles were burned down and 20 infantrymen were killed.''
    The location is given in the citation: Hathenow Google Maps

On 16 April the Battle for Berlin began.
    Here is the 79GuMR as part of the 1 Guards Tank Army on 16 April 1945.

Egorka, thanks a lot for the translation and additional information! I'm really impressed . Nice to see a photo of the actual Katyusha's of this unit.
    Also very interesting to see the small museum in the school, and how the schoolchildren take care of it and show interest in history (Hopefully I can visit this museum when I visit Moscow again).
    Many thanks for your help, I really appreciate it!

I've noticed that in more schools they have such small museums and displays. Been to two small museums like this myself within the Moscow area. Good to see they keep remembering, not forgetting the sacrifices from their (great-)grandparents.

Nice small grouping with a great history. I always like to see awards related to 1st Belarussian front.

?

Sure! Glad to help!

My congratulations on the group. It is small but complete and documented. Nice interesting unit - "Katyushas".