Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Guard Captain Alexandre Petrovich Merkoulov awards group

Article about: Dear Member of the forum, I am happy to share one of my last Soviet Order group, the awards received by Captain Merkoulov during the Great Patriotic War. Guard Captain Merkoulov was the comm

?

Default Guard Captain Alexandre Petrovich Merkoulov awards group

Dear Member of the forum,

I am happy to share one of my last Soviet Order group, the awards received by Captain Merkoulov during the Great Patriotic War.

Guard Captain Merkoulov was the commanding officer of the 2nd tank battalion of the 32nd Guard tank Brigade, he joined the Red Army in 1938 and participated to the war from June 1941 to the end.
    He was wounded in June 1942 and has been nominated for the Order of Alexandr Nevsky in early 1944 for his participation at the Dniepr Battle, but the award was "downgraded" to an OGPW 1st class.
    Below is the description of his feat of arms :

Comrade Merkoulov showed great results and efficiency while leading his battalion during battle against the enemy, especially on December 31st 1943, his battalion destroyed the enemy resistance lines near the village of DNIEPROVKA. During the next days, comrade Merkoulov and his battalion participated to the elimination of an enemy bridgehead on the left bank of the Dniepr River.
    He demonstrated also initiatives during the fulfilment of his duty. Leading his troops with bravery and efficiency during the battles, he was the first to enter into the village of Vodanoy and the town of Kamienka.
    He also supported the crossing of the Dniepr River by the other battalions, providing great fire support; resulting in heavy human and vehicle casualties for the enemy.
    During the battle for the Mious River, he personally destroyed one tank and truck demonstrating in any situation bravery and great leadership and organizational skills.

Fighting in the Great Patriotic war since the very beginning, he deserves to be awarded the order of Alexandr Nevsky.

General Major of the armoured Troops, commanding the 32nd Guard armoured Brigade

Signed KISSILEV

I am not so sure about the traduction of his unit, if I am wrong, please just correct me :-)

What is surprising is that he has been awarded both Victory of Germany and Japan medals, I do not know when his unit was transfered to the Japanese front ?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Guard Captain Alexandre Petrovich Merkoulov awards group
    P
    Many

maybe this was given by mistake, their unit was stationed in Southern Front.

?

Ok, does such mistake happen frequently ?

Excellent grouping!!!

Hopefully, someone can shed some more light on this. Maybe at some point in time he was transferred to the far east front. From my search, Merkulov was promoted to "подполковник" which is lieutenant colonel.

?

Yes, thanks for your search, from the number, I know that both Combat Service medal, Red Star and Red Banner have been awarded for long service.
    He joined the red Army in 1938 and according to the serial number he was awarded :

Combat Service Medal in Mid 1948 ( 10 years)
    Red Star in 1953 ( 15 years)
    Red banner in Mid 1956 ( around 18 years)

?

I also took a picture of his victory over Japan booklet :

?

Guard Captain Alexandre Petrovich Merkoulov awards groupGuard Captain Alexandre Petrovich Merkoulov awards group

it is strange to me that he would be awarded this medal. Unless he somehow was involved in the planning of the operations. Hopefully someone can help out with this puzzle!