Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

OG3 - damaged original or a cast fake?

Article about: I'm thinking of buying this Order of Glory 3rd class, and it checks out in all respects (number is correct for the style, number font, engraving style, etc) but I'd like to get others opinio

Default OG3 - damaged original or a cast fake?

I'm thinking of buying this Order of Glory 3rd class, and it checks out in all respects (number is correct for the style, number font, engraving style, etc) but I'd like to get others opinions as to the damage to the clock tower spire. It appears to me to be damaged, and possibly even the red enamel replaced in the star......but I had in the back of my mind could it also be a casting flaw from a cast fake?

I only have 2 pics of it, but if I could maybe get an opinion one way or the other based on what can be seen.
    I believe it's original, but it's better to at least ask the question now before I buy it rather than after.
    (also has a cut ring, for what reason I have no idea)

Thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture OG3 - damaged original or a cast fake?   OG3 - damaged original or a cast fake?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement OG3 - damaged original or a cast fake?
    P
    Many

Slightly closer
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture OG3 - damaged original or a cast fake?  

The serial number kind of looks weird, and better pictures would be nice. From the photos alone, I think it might be a good one, but I'd wait until you get some more replies as I'm not 100% positive.

Edit: If anything, I do know for a fact that the ribbon is clearly a replacement.

Need better pictures.
    My gut instinct says it's a good but beat up OGIII. However, if I was going to purchase it I would want to see better detailed pictures.

Regards,

I agree, some close-ups would be welcome. Red star has replaced enamel. As Papastalin1943 mentioned the ribbon is a replacement but that is very common to see with OG III and II. Connecting ring has been cut so suspension could be a replacement. Myself I would like to see a better photo from the serial number. It is here hard to see if the vertical lines are damage by wear or if someone tried to mess with the serial number.

Guys, thanks for your opinions...I agree with all of them.

After taking everything into consideration, I feel it's an original but there are too many things wrong with it since I only plan on getting one good example for the collection. The thing that finally made my mind up to pass on it is the number, in particular the third digit which is meant to be a 7. As the number is now, it fits into the accepted number range for this variation of the OG3 so I tend to think it was an error by the original engraver who engraved it as a 1 and then corrected his mistake and changed it to a 7.

All in all, I believe it is what it is, but not for my one and only example of this Order.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture OG3 - damaged original or a cast fake?