Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Some Soviet Awards, help requested

Article about: I know these should *probably* each being their own topic but I'm on a time crunch with me being in different time zones than the estate sale and they got me photos kind of late :-( So apolo

Default Some Soviet Awards, help requested

I know these should *probably* each being their own topic but I'm on a time crunch with me being in different time zones than the estate sale and they got me photos kind of late :-( So apologies in advance. Also I don't know why the photos didn't save the correct orientation so apologies for that as well.

Hey everybody. I only have one Soviet award and I've been presented the opportunity to purchase these from an estate and just wanted to see if everything looks in order and what a fair price is. Sorry for bad photos, this is all they had time to get me. Thank you!

We have:

Order of the Badge of Honour - Serial 982,119 looks like to me. I think they are asking $40? Not sure. Some enamel damage and the finish has worn off in places.
    Some Soviet Awards, help requestedSome Soviet Awards, help requested

Order of the Red Banner - Serial maybe 166,477?

Cross of St. George, 4th class WWI version I believe - Pretty straightforward, asking $40.

Order of the Red Star - Number 945,940. It has an appropriate screw back, just not pictured. They wanted $200 and I said that was way too high. I would think around $130 retail for this serial range. So maybe offer $100?

Also a Showa Enthronement Commemorative Medal for $40 which is not pictured as it is not Soviet!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Some Soviet Awards, help requested
    P
    Many

Red Star is good Moskow Mint star but way overpriced! Be smart and buy elsewhere! Pics of Red Banner are too dark so I don't even wanna make a comment. Both others I have no experience with.

I've brightened that photo as per your feedback and responded to you on WAF as well asking what a good price for the star would be.

Some Soviet Awards, help requested

I would stay away. First the badge of honour is nothing special, for $40USD you can easily find an authentic one (not saying that it isn't). the red banner is way off in my opinion, the details are just not there. The lines are too thin, especially around the hammer and sickle, enamel in "CCCP" is questionable (too light). St. George cross - i'm no expert, but the numbers don't look right. The red star is questionable, the patina doesn't look genuine (looks like a crappy cast metal was used), the medallion in the middle the writing on it seems messy. Plus $100-130 for red star that is for long service is too much. With all these, i would pass - not like you are getting a good price either.

Quote by kmoney10 View Post
    I would stay away. First the badge of honour is nothing special, for $40USD you can easily find an authentic one (not saying that it isn't). the red banner is way off in my opinion, the details are just not there. The lines are too thin, especially around the hammer and sickle, enamel in "CCCP" is questionable (too light). St. George cross - i'm no expert, but the numbers don't look right. The red star is questionable, the patina doesn't look genuine (looks like a crappy cast metal was used), the medallion in the middle the writing on it seems messy. Plus $100-130 for red star that is for long service is too much. With all these, i would pass - not like you are getting a good price either.
    This was crossposted to WAF and no one there has concerns about the red banner. You may think it looks distorted because I brightened the picture in photoshop and then re-posted it.

The badge of honor is a little salty, but I don't think there's anything wrong with it based on the feedback I've gotten.

Regarding the star - yes, it is too much so I would offer around the $70-75 range. Again, no one has raised issue with it except if the screw back is correct and even if it's not it can be replaced. The pictures they gave me were not the best and there are different versions of those awards as I'm sure you're aware.

The George Cross was determined to be a reproduction of a rare Napoleonic era award.

Imo the patina on this Red Star is not weird and I have come across this more often. Everything fits for a Moskow Mint star, 8mm straight serial number, style of engraving, the soldier on the obverse. All good there imo

?

Both the ORB 166477 and ORS 945940 are most likely long service by the decree 03/Nov/1944.
    The St. George cross looks not original to me. But I am not experienced enough with those.

You could probably get a Order of the Badge of Honour, with a corresponding document on eBay for the same price. The Red Banner is a good one imo... For a WW2 variant, it is a good price. The St. George Cross is an interesting peice., but could be fake. The Red Star, you could probably put a lower offer.
    The enamels on them are practically perfect, very good.