Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Soviet WW2 medal

Article about: Hi guys, I fell for this salty medal today. Any thoughts on it at all. I´m not an expert in these but I was hoping that this might be one with an original ribbon to it? Best, Jan

One could easily end up spending more than either of these medals are worth as an FYI.
    I understand that this may not be a concern.
    Given the Combat Services medal doesn't have a number, let me suggest a cost savings method here, a double mount and then scrounge for pieces if you really want to work with what you have.
    Where are you located?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Soviet WW2 medal
    P
    Many

Quote by Jan View Post
    Forever grateful Marcel.

Even though this is just a small item I would like to do it justice.

Best, Jan
    Saw this after I replied and I'm the same way, I'd still say a double mount with this medal, and the victory over germany combined would be a nice intermediate step to do it justice. It is extremely likely this person also served in WW2 and thus extremely likely he/she would have qualified for the victory over germany

are you in the US?

Jan
    ?

Hi Meyerse,

I´m located in Helsinki Finland Suddenly I feel this is a very inetersting project.

Best, Jan

Jan:
    shoot me a DM, I have all the parts you need to put this in a double mount (the mount ribbons even I think the stray victory over german)
    I'd hate to see you roll another $30 into this. I think not 'pimp shining it' as we might say here in the US is also the respectful way to go.

Seeing your post I do not know if it is at all feasible to send something to Helsinki.....
    Patience here is key and also caution, it becomes addictive.

What I mean by a double mount (I'm embarrassed to say I found not one but three while doing what as only a cursory search!) sorry no mater what I seem to do it flips it upside down....are you a graduate student?

I also just noted the victory ribbon is not 'complete', that would make a remount more problematic....but I've seen some patches by veterans using interesting methods.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Soviet WW2 medal  

Jan
    ?

I got the ribbon bar in the mail yesterday so it´s time to move forward. It didn´t cost me a lot so now I thought the next step would be to add the medal to this original well worn ribbon.

After this I will need a battered medal to fit the ribbon that came with my original purchase

Best,

Jan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Soviet WW2 medal   Soviet WW2 medal  

Last edited by Jan; 11-13-2020 at 08:05 PM.

Jan
    ?

Quote by Marcel Banziger View Post
    It is a postwar combat merit medal and as Ade says it is the wrong ribbon (both Order of Glory and Victory over Germany medal have this ribbon and this one is most likely taken from the abundantly available Victory over Germany medal).

Edit: suspension is also a replacement with connecting ring that is not from a medal.
    Marcel, can you give me some more information on the suspension with the connecting ring. What are the giveaways that show it is a replacement? Just so I get everything right

Best, Jan

This brass suspension is a typical replacement suspension. Originally the Victory over Germany had a double plated suspension on the earlier variants. To make your Victory over Germany medal correct all you need to add is a seperate medal, this suspension is good. It is very common for Soviet veterans to change ribbons and suspensions regularly to look at their best. So this suspension is good, just not the suspension with which the medal came from the factory originally.

Some die-hard collectors only collect medals with their original suspension, and the original ribbon and uncut connecting ring. However the majority of medals out there is altered by veterans with ribbons, suspensions, pins etc etc. Hope it makes sense what I say

Jan
    ?

Thank you so much Marcel much appreciated.

Best,

Jan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast